The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ponchogl, MikeE, Bill Hanlon, 1 invisible), 162 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,144
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#125793 04/27/2007 2:36 AM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 110
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 110
How do you lock a 1946 Chevy truck? I guess they were built in a trusting time, but I see no way of locking the doors! I notice a bolt head that twists on the upper part of the door when I open the door.

Does anyone have anyone have a work around? My truck is not original and I'm even considering electronic locks!

Dan Mascheck
Wharton, TX

#125794 04/27/2007 4:19 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 338
I
'Bolter
'Bolter
I Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 338
You can do the mod for electronic locks, but if you want to go original there was a door lock.

The key lock was on the passenger door and there was an inside lock on the drivers side.

You can find replacement parts through the suppliers. That bolt head had a plastic T that allowed you to twist the lock into place.

#125795 04/27/2007 11:53 AM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 110
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 110
Mine has a key on the driver side lock, but alas no key to use on it. I notice the bolt heads that twist on the door inside, but fail to see how they would lock the door. I need to call someone about the item you described! I wish there was a 46 around the area I could look at that had the locks so I could get a better idea!

Who do you use for parts?

Dan Mascheck
Wharton, TX

#125796 04/27/2007 3:07 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 144
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 144
On my 46 the key lock is on the passenger door just below where the handle goes into the mechanism. The mechanism is a very simple cam type lever that rolls into the opening mechanism and jams it from opening. Very simple mechanism. The passenger door opens locks from the inside only while the drivers side locks from the inside and outside using the key. Hope that helps.
Bob T

#125797 04/27/2007 11:40 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 110
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 110
Mine is the same. I didn't notice the key below the handle on the passenger side. It does seem a bit odd. I just wonder where I can get a key made at? Where do you find one for an old 46? I also need the lock for the driver side.

I also think you mean the driver side door locks from the inside only. And the passenger side can be locked from the outside with the key. Where can you get the locking mechanism for the inside for the driver side door?

Dan

Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 1
J
JWG Offline
Moderated
Moderated
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 1
My first time with this forum. I have a 46 pickup that has been made into a street rod with power windows. Question about door lock on passenger side. I have key that works and turns lock but it does not lock the door. Does the lock need to be turned to where the key goes into the lock top up or does it make any difference. I want to lock door. Thanks


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0