The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (dt235sd, sron48, Keepinthemstockm, TUTS 59, Wally / Montana, Jay R, 1 invisible), 89 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,084
Posts1,056,333
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 102
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 102
1948 Chevrolet 1/2 Ton Pick-up, I'm removing everything from the cab so I can strip and re-paint. Is there any particular way to remove the 2 windshield wiper arms from the body? Mine seems to have an electric motor with a long shaft that connects the 2 arms. I can't see how to remove each arm from that metal shaft? Appreciate any helpful tips.

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,002
V
VEW Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
V Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,002
Don't have a 48, so reluctant to give you advise. You will get a faster reply if you post it in the General forum.


~ Victor
1941 3/4-Ton Pickup (in process). Read about it in the DITY Gallery
1955 Grumman Kurbside "Doughboy" 235/3 on tree w/ OD
1957 3100 - moved on
1959 C4500 Short Bus "Magic Bus" - moved on
1959 G3800 1 Ton Dually "Chief" - moved on
1958 C4400 Viking "Thor" ~ moved on to fellow Bolter

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
There may be a small metal tab underneath you have to push while prying up on the arms. If not, then they just pry off using a crows foot bar or a couple of large screw drivers.🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 102
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 102
Thanks Justhorsenround, it sorta looks that way, like a pin from the wiper arm is going thru the cab and into a flat metal tab that is the shaft connected to the wiper motor, I'll put some wd40 and try to push/pry it out the whole thing out.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Are we talking the same part? To me, and most others, the wiper arm is the shiny arm that the rubber blade attaches to. It sounds like your talking the shaft that connects the actuating arms through the body to the wiper arms. If so, someone else will have to chime in as I have never removed the shafts before.🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 102
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 102
yeah, that's what I'm asking about, I need to completely remove the actuating arm from the body. It doesn't appear to have any nut or bolt on the inside, just a Pin thru the actuating arms. I haven't done anything with it yet, too cold outside.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Martin already said how to pry up, rock, wiggle the wiper arm while releasing the clip under the "chrome" arm (Wiper Arms). The under dash arms are called Transmission Arms.
Then take off the nut and bezel where the wiper arm splined shaft comes thru the cowl.



Last edited by bartamos; 03/05/2018 1:05 AM. Reason: Simplify to question

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 102
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 102
Got 'em!!! Whew, glad I waited and read the collective of all the tips, they were very helpful. There are 5 or 6 steps here to observe:

1) Position arms at 12'oclock
2) There is a small, hardly noticeable latch spring on the inside of the chrome arm cover at the spindle, it is now in the 12'oclock position on each arm
3) push upward on the latch spring and this will facilitate sliding off the chrome arm cover at the spindle
4) with chrome arms removed, loosen the chrome locking nut on the top of each chrome bezel that shrouds the spindle
5) with the chrome locking nut removed, the chrome bezels can be pulled off, away from the spindles and off the cab
6) the spindles can now be gently pushed down, tucked into the cab to facilitate sanding, stripping, painting of the exterior.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Good work Bobby! You owe Martin a coke.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
There ya go. Task accomplished!🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0