| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,117 Posts1,056,298 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 80 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 80 | I am trying to get everything ready to spray some primer and I am wondering what to use to clean the HVLP gun with. After I am done spraying do I use acetone or laquer thinner? or is there something else that I should use? I have heard something about not dipping the entire gun in the cleaner but what is the right way?
Thanks in advance for your replies | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 442 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 442 | Been using Laquer thinner here, disassemble the gun, clean all small parts with a tiny wire brush(may have come with the gun, mine did) clean the cup out. I sometimes let the nozzles soak in thinner for a few min., and reassemble. Then I put the clean cup back on, and pour some thinner in the cup, and spray it thru, while opening and closing the air/paint adjustments, so far no problems with it... do it once, and you'll have it down pat after that.
not sure if this is the right way, but it works for me, after shooing primer or paint.
Mike | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 442 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 442 | Watch the Laquer thinner, very, very!! flammable !! it works great though, but ya definately wanna turn on the "NO SMOKING" sign in the shop.
Mike | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | If you have the manufacturer's manual it might have a suggestion for cleaning-solvents that can be used (and that should be avoided).
I have used lacquer thinner on an AccuSpray HVLP gun. Be careful if your gun has any kind of plastic parts. You might OK rinsing plastic with lacquer thinner but do not soak plastic parts for any length of time (unless the manufacturer says OK). | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 79 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 79 | I got into the habit many years ago before gravity guns became so popular, to clean my guns, and before I store them, fill the cup half full with mineral spirits and drop the nozzle and soft parts in the cup. I then reattach the cup and set it on the shelf. I have pulled a gun off the shelf after several years of not using it and the mineral spirits have kept the cup gasket and packing in great shape. Before an old painter gave me that tip, I could count on replacing the soft parts in my guns if they sat too long between uses.
If I ever break down and get a gravity rig, I'll probably have to change my habits, since they now come in nice cases that kinda force you to break them down before putting them away.
1949 "Heinz 57"
| | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 119 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2006 Posts: 119 | I always put lacquer thinner in the cup of my gravity feed gun and put my finger over the vent hole and shake it real good with no air line attached. Keep your finger over the hole as it will build some pressure and then pull the trigger and let it flow until it is clear. Saves alot of cleanup time when you pull it apart. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 641 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 641 | i never take my guns apart except when they need rebuild just spray gun cleaner rinse and put some oil on the trigger rods some of my guns are 30 years old and havent been apart yet man how time flyes | | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 80 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 80 | What do you mean by gun cleaner rinse? Sounds like laquer thinner is the way to go, thanks everybody  | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 641 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 641 | they make a real cheape laquer thats sold as gun cleaner | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 339 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 339 | Cheap lacquer thinner is the way to go... One of the most important things to do to clean a spraygun is to turn the fan off tight, then with a cup of thinner, pull the trigger wide open then put it over the nozzle...this call back-flushing the gun, skip Your finger back and forth blocking the nozzle, then take You finger away...If I have an overall paint job to do, I will use a 2 quart pressure pot, and complete a paint job in 30 minutes....Bill B | | |
| |
| |