Hello all, my '61 235 needs a new front motor mount. There is a company called Steele Rubber Parts that will revulcanize your existing mount. So, I need to raise my 235 just enough to get the front mount out so I can send it to them. I'm going to clean the area around the rear mounts and replace them while I'm at it. The problem is I have no access to a hoist or any way to lift the engine from above. Any advice on raising it from below? If I used wood and a jack, would I crush the oilpan if I tried to raise it that way? The transmission is currently removed from the truck so it's only the weight of the engine. Any experiences or safe ideas would be greatly helpful.
Thanks,
Chris '61 longbed step Apache 10
Last edited by Greenman Wood; 02/26/20187:37 AM. Reason: misspelling
"The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government." - Thomas Paine
Use a wood block wider than the pan surface area and jack away. If the edges of the pan are covered by the block the strength of the sides of the pan will haold the engine just fine. DO NOT JACK IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PAN.
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
Spread the load of the jack over a wide area with a large block of wood. It's the same concept that keeps a bulldozer that weighs thousands of pounds from sinking out of sight on a muddy construction site. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
The front mount for a '60 - '62 C10 - C40 is 3763767, Filling Station lists 70-1828 (rebonded 37363767), as do some others. The mount fits to the timing plate on 6 cyl or to the horse shoe bracket on a V8. I found a NOS 3763767 mount a few weeks ago off Flee Bay for $95, searched for some time so I'm glad I scored it. Have it in hand, looks good.
BC 1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 4.10 dana 44 power loc 1949 GMC 250 project in waiting 1960 C60 pasture art Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022
Wow, the quickness and depth of the replies here reminds me yet again why Stovebolt.com is the best site out there!
tclederman - From your link, the leftmost item that comes up are indeed the two rear motor mounts for my engine. These seem to be readily available, and I have a pair waiting to go in.
BC59 - It appears that the Filling Station listing is being sent to the company in my link, Steele Rubber Products, same copy, same picture, same price!
The attached picture shows the sorry state of my front mount (and the need to clean and rustproof my harmonic balancer!)
I'm going to get a broad piece of wood that's significantly wider all around than the oilpan and then go up nice and slowly. Thanks for all your insights!
Greenman Wood
Last edited by Greenman Wood; 02/27/201811:02 PM. Reason: misspelling
"The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government." - Thomas Paine
Looks about like my old one. I plan to get my old one re-bonded for a spare. Have been looking for another core to get re-bonded as I didn't want to send my only one away. One of my co-workers had a flag on E-bay, saw several used ( most wanting new prices) when a NOS one popped up a couple weeks ago.
Last edited by BC59; 02/27/20186:48 PM. Reason: fat fingers
BC 1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 4.10 dana 44 power loc 1949 GMC 250 project in waiting 1960 C60 pasture art Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022
Ummmmm- - - - -you do realize that's not a 235 balancer, don't you? It's one for a 250, which has probably been modified to fit a 235 by shortening the snout a little. Those are actually available brand new, for pretty reasonable prices. I'm not too fond of doing it that way because the rubber isolator carries the load of driving the belts. I make a brand new balancer, using a 6" diameter balancer for a small blockV8 and an inverted 2-sheave pulley off a big block V8. The pulley bolts to the inside piece, and overlaps the balance ring, which carries no load. It's necessary to do a little machining, but the end result works well, according to a few bolters who are using them. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Hotrod Lincoln - Please tell me more. This was sold to me as a two-pulley 235 balancer. One belt to the two-pulley behind the fan, the other to the alternator. That leaves the second pulley behind the fan for a power steering change when I can afford it. Do you think I am headed for trouble?
Link to the first time I ran the engine after rebuilding, before my generator gave out and I switched to an alternator. Not tuned yet but ran pretty well.
Last edited by Greenman Wood; 03/02/20184:09 AM. Reason: additional information
"The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government." - Thomas Paine
Now that this has moved into a wanted/selling thread please move over to Private Messages. Thanks
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
Martin, I make those balancers for my own use, not to sell. I'll be glad to correspond with anyone who wants to do their own machine work on one. Just mentioning it as an option over getting financially molested by the people who rebuild those 2-sheave OEM balancers! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Not your fault Jerry. OP asked for a price which turned the thread. It’s since been edited. All is well.
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)