Due to having to use a spare spot on my fuse panel (non-fused) I want to add an inline fuse to protect the heater switch assembly and blow motor. I cannot find any information on what I should use. What would be ya'lls suggestion, 10, 15 or 20 amps? and is glass better than blade?
what size wire is used to supply the power? if you know this, then these are good guidelines:
20 AWG 5A 18 AWG 10A 16 AWG 15A 14 AWG 20A
alternatively you could put an ammeter inline and measure the current draw to determine the appropriate fuse
As far as glass or blade - use whatever is already present on other circuits so you can make emergency substitutions'and don;t need to keep two different types on hand.
Ok as promised, here is a short tutorial on the harness hook-up. It’s pretty straight forward Plug and play. I have the deluxe heater/defrost setup and this is written for combo.
Prior to starting, I would clean the spades of the switch, resistor and fan motor with an fine emery file or cloth and test them in case you need to change them out, no sense in doing this install and then needing to do again.
The new wiring harness provided by Classic Parts, follows the factory color codes and each connector is marked with a number so it’s easy to tell where each plug is connected. Also they are wrapped to keep it clean.
The only thing I did different was snip off and change the provided Plug Connector #1 (factory original design) to a spade so it would plug into my fuse block in a spare location. I added an inline 15 amp fuse as well.
Connector #1, (Brown Wire) goes to power source on fuse block, you could wire direct to battery if needed, but I prefer a factory cleaner look.
Connector #2, Plugs into the heater switch (fan speed) on dash assembly, this has 4 wires - Brown, Orange, Blue and Yellow connected into the plug that connects to the switch.
Connector #3 (Blue and Yellow) connect to the resistor in the back side of the plenum box, I used a small inspection mirror so I could see how to plug it in. bit of a pain to reach.
Connector #4 (orange wire with factory connector) passes through firewall and connects directly to motor lug (slide on).
You should have a working heater/defrost assembly now go forth and defrost warmly