Rebuild of front suspension and brakes, new spindles, king pins and the road ends. New primary leafs and springs rebuilt. Converted to front disc brakes.
Last edited by PaPa Joe; 02/21/20186:59 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
It would be interesting to know what parts they are using. They've probably discovered a combination of stock parts that work in that application. For example, my '32 Ford roadster street rod has disc front brakes mounted to an original style dropped Ford axle, Long ago some enterprising street rod builder discovered that an Aspen/Volare rotor and a GM "metric" caliper are compatible with each other and would require only a simple caliper bracket to work on a Ford beam axle.like mine.
That allows us to bypass the middle men who make these "kits" by buying the parts directly. To me, that's the real hot rod building mentality at work, finding stuff made for one application and using it in another with good results.
Another example is my Ford 8N tractor. The 6 volt generator gave up the ghost so I found a 12 volt Toyota alternator that was compatible with the 1950s era Ford wide fan belt. A simple 2-wire 1960s era Mopar voltage regulator was recommended by a street rod building buddy, completing the Ford-Toyota-Mopar electric system. It's fun discovering those combinations that work.
No power. However I locked them up the first couple times I drove it. I was expecting a non-power brake to take a lot more leg power than they do. I am now used to the feel and love the way it stops.
Do you have any issues with your turning stops? I installed that kit and found that my brake hose fitting hits the axle before the stock turning stop is reached, when moving the wheel full right and full left.
~ Dave 1950 Chevrolet 3600 3/4-ton with 261 engine & T5 Transmission
I have a 49-3100. I put on a front disc brake kit with vacuum assist. Kit included proportioning valve and vacuum assist master cylinder which mounted in place of original.. No modifications were required, however I had to get new wheels with a deeper offset. Purchased kit from CPP. Brakes work great and no problems stopping.
Dougs, if you are running the 15" rims, whose wheels did you purchase, and what were the backspace/offset specs? The wheels you replaced, were they original rims?
"it's only old if you can't find a use for it; otherwise it's cool and i'll use it."
The wheels that were replaced were 15" original to best of my knowledge. New wheels 15" are from Wheel Smith - Smoothie. Backspace 3 5/8". Wheel Smith talked to CPP to confirm backspace of 3 5/8" was good for kit 4954CBK-6H K-2B. No modifications were required.