The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Otto Skorzeny, rfs56trk, Dusty53, Buckeye998, Chip O, WICruiser), 153 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1255825 02/21/2018 12:40 PM
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 189
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 189
Just had my 4100 delivered, and need to try and bring it back to life, but there is no key for the locks/ignition. I called a locksmith and they will try to make a key if I can bring them a lock cylinder. I'm wondering if the glove box lock would be the easiest one to take out? I hope they can make a key because I don't want to replace all three locks, or end up needing a different key for each one.

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,101
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,101
The ignition key is easy to remove. Tag and disconnect the (3?) wires from the back of the ignition. They chrome ring on the front of the ignition unscrews and holds the ignition in place. You can use a set of adjustable pliers. I would recommend you use a pair that have the optional plastic/rubber pads that slip onto the jaws to prevent you from scratching the ring or dashboard. Also, the door and the ignition don't necessarily match. You might have to get a key for the ignition and a different key for the door. My ignition key for my 54 3100 does not fit the door lock. That is why I recommend getting a key for the ignition first. If it fits the other locks great, if not you at least have an ignition key until you get a chance to address the door and glove box. You can also buy a new ignition key set for probably less than the cost of a lock smith. I have not compared prices but I am speculating. It might be something you want to check.

Last edited by dgrinnan; 02/21/2018 1:18 PM.

Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
This is the way I replaced the ignition lock in my 50 Chevy. It had no key when I bought the truck and I ran the ignition circuit through a toggle switch. Then I bought a used ignition lock with key from somebody on Stovebolt Swap Meet. This procedure worked great. I just used the key that came with the replacement lock to turn it to the right. I didn't remove the complete switch, only the lock.
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1948_51truck/51ctsm1226.htm
I hope this is helpful.


Professional Novice
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
Getting the lock cylinder out of the switch, or the switch out of the dash- - - - -requires a key! The bezel nut won't clear the tumbler cover until you remove the lock cylinder, and doing that requires the cylinder to be turned. Usually, the door lock and ignition switch are keyed alike. Take the inside trim panel off a door and remove the lock assembly- - - -then take that to the locksmith.

I can get most ignition switches to unlock by spending a few minutes with a lockpick and a torque bar- - - -but I've been doing it for close to 40 years.
Jerry



"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 135
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 135
Got mine done by a lock smith, total cost with two keys $14.35. On my 55 ignition switch comes out by just removing the ring. On mine all three locks are different. But they can be fixed by the smith. I haven't done that yet. I could get a used switch for about $25. My locksmith had a key ring with hundreds of chevy keys. One fit and works perfect. My next door neighbors 65 chev has the bezel on the switch. Its pressed on, he popped it off and pulled the switch and popped it back on with a little re-bending. Best route? I don't know.


1961 ford f500
1953 3100 five window (https://www.facebook.com/1953-Chevrolet-5-window-1533405913413610/)
1955-2 3200 big window (https://www.facebook.com/Leep3200/)
55yrs as a mechanic and retired. (kind of)
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 189
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 189
Thanks for the help, but problem solved. Somehow I missed it, and my son noticed the key code was on the original sales order for the truck I have. Called the locksmith this am, and picked up the key later, and it works in all 3 locks. Now, the next project is a 12v battery, pull the plugs, lube the cylinders, etc., and see if it will crank over. Way too cold yet is the biggest problem now..

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
What year is the 4100? I'm guessing if it was an Advance Design like my '48, the key has 3 positions. Left is locked off. Center is on and ready to start with the foot button. Right is off but is not locked. You don't need a key to move it into the center, upright position to start.

I'd guess that the firemen would keep it in the right, easy-off, easy-on position. Otherwise they might all be searching their pockets for the key while Rome was burning!

Glad you got the problem solved.

Last edited by Wally / Montana; 02/22/2018 12:00 AM.

1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 189
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 189
My 4100 is a 1950 with only 2370 miles on it. The 2 + 3 digits on the odometer have been in the same spot for so long you can barely make out the numbers. My ignition switch has just 2 positions on/off.

Last edited by 4100 Fire Truck; 02/22/2018 1:18 PM.
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
We need to see some pictures!! smile And welcome aboard!


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
John and others, he has a group of photos in the Stovebolt Volunteer Fire Department forum dated Jan 5th. FYI📸


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0