The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Dennys28, Steelonsteel, Opelika Tom, Guitplayer, Ponchogl), 120 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,401
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1253814 02/05/2018 2:09 PM
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 224
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 224

I know this has been covered extensively before but I’m looking for input. I’m working on my 473100 AD box now. Everything’s apart leaving mt missing spare tire carrier exposed..hehe.
I’ve checked for some time , placed ads etc. and know how scarce they are....and pricey. Last one I saw was $600.
I know this was asked a long time ago but has any one here designed/fabricated something on their own? Once my bed is finished I sure don’t want that darned sparelaying on the bed. Ugh
Such is the plight of working on an old vehicle.
Anyone have any advice? Leads? Information? A lucky Lowery ticket?

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
You can get a reproduction from Chevs of the 40"s.
spare tire carrier


Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
You can pre-order one, but no price is listed?

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
Wish I could remember where I got mine from.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 224
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 224
I’ll call later today..........no price listed likely means not currently available and price to be determined. I’ll repost what I find out.
Hopefully I won’t have to mortgage the farm!
Jim

Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,049
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,049
If you would like I can look under my 54 donor truck. I also know of a little known junk yard that has about a dozen of the 49-54 trucks. Do you have a 47 and are they the same? If I have one I'll give it to you. If the junk yard has one it wouldn't be much.


Old enough to know better, too young to resist.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
If it matters, the 47-50 small truck spare tire carrier was different from the 51-55st carrier.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
Found my receipt (dated 2001) for my spare tire carrier. It came from American Classic truck parts. They don't list it anymore. Argh!!


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
On a 48 we did we used a Ranger wind up spare holder. You don't even have to get on your knees to use it, just lay the tire on the ground under the back bumper, drop lift bar through enter hole in wheel, crank clockwise and the chain (or cable) will pull the spare in under the truck and hoist it up into place. To remove unwind till there is slack, ease truck ahead a couple feet, remove lift bar and the wheel is ready to be picked up. Not even any dirt on clean clothes if you handle the tire and spare carefully. The lift mechanism is very compact.


Evan
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
Hey Evan that sounds slick. Do you think the Ranger spare holder would work on a 40? That is one of my last changes I want to make. Do you recall what year you used?

Dennis


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 224
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 224
I did call Chevy of the 40s yesterday. Doug told me that there is a waiting list now for the carrier. They ARE listed but currently have NO supplier. When I asked for details he wasn’t sure what happened but offered a retirement, supplier out of business etc. He did say he really didn’t know exactly what happened. He took my name to be added to a list of 20. He said they order when they get 30-50 orders/requests. But if they have NO supplier, then what? Seems like I might be SOL with this company. Although he did say when they hear something they would contact me/us. Hmmmm?

Appears the best alternatives are salvage yards, someone willing to part with pieces or the entire unit, fabricate something or look into coil overs suggestion.

Think I’ll call American Classic Truck Parts–who knows?

Yep, Tim is right on. The 47-50 carrier is much different. I’ve got to check tho, I’ve wondered if the 3100s from possibly 41-46 Art Deco trucks were the same and would work.

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
Jim,
Here is a photo of the complete spare tire holder assembly. It took me 3 years to find all the pieces. They are out there somewhere! I believe the tire carrier was the same from 41 - 50.
This photo was posted some time ago by Denny Graham.
Happy hunting.
Harol
Attachments

Last edited by Harold46; 02/06/2018 1:35 PM.

Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 224
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 224
Thanks Harold. From the picture I have 2 of the 5___the easy parts, the wheel and the chassis track. Well that’s 40%!

Also I called Classic Parts today. Salesman didn’t know they ever handled underbed carriers. He had no idea if they ever would. That makes me 0-2 on calls this week. Guess I’m going to the farm system with a batting average like that. 😐

Well the search shall continue.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
So you need parts 2,3 & 4 of the pic that Harold posted above? Keep snooping around your local craigslist.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,049
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,049
When it warms up a little I will go check the hidden junk yard in the woods for you. If he has one it would probably not cost much. He has never charged me more than $20 buck for anything and that was a nice complete door with hinges.


Old enough to know better, too young to resist.
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 224
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 224
Yep cmayna, 2,3,4 is easy as 1,2,3......NOT. 😉 I haven’t personally had the best of luck on CL, but I’ll keep looking and hoping. 🤞


Gee thanks mick53, that would be greatly appreciated!


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0