The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (ShopRag, Bill Hanlon, fonz8261), 141 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,337
Members48,440
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 120
I
Retired Construction Worker
Retired Construction Worker
I Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 120
a 12volt system ? I figure not ,,and if so what is the part that will cut the voltage down ,a resister of some type?


Directions are just another man's Opinion
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Originally Posted by idaho39
a 12volt system ? I figure not ,,and if so what is the part that will cut the voltage down ,a resister of some type?
What clock, & What year truck, & What voltage battery do you have????

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
He’s trying to sneak one in on us Tim.🤷🏼‍♂️


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 120
I
Retired Construction Worker
Retired Construction Worker
I Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 120
You really got to know all this to answer? just kidding ya .. I hit the post button to quick guys,, it is my 1939 Chevy changed over to 12 volt ,,but the original clock was wired with 6 volts ..

My excuse is ,,the browies cane out of the oven the daughter was baking and I lost all mental ability to finish the post corretly ..

I have a guy across the street who is itching to get into the works of the old clock and get it going again..even after I told him that I never seen a clock run and keep time worth a darn ever in them old cars I have owned.


Directions are just another man's Opinion
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,809
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,809
Most of the car clocks back in the dark ages were spring-wound- - - -at least the ones that didn't contain sand! It was wound by a magnetic coil and a set of points- - - -when the coil energized, it wound the clock spring every time the points made contact. To wind the clock initially if it was allowed to run down, we would repeatedly touch a battery cable terminal to the battery post which energized the solenoid several times and tensioned the spring. You'll need to use a resistor with enough value to avoid overloading the small magnetic coil- - -that might take a little experimentation to get the value right.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
So, what clock, from what year truck/car?

1954 was the first year for an accessory (wind-up) clock in a Chevrolet truck.

So, if you have an original wind-up car/truck clock, just use a 12v bulb, rather than a 6v bulb.

Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 120
I
Retired Construction Worker
Retired Construction Worker
I Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 120
good advice ,,when I get to the clock fixn I can use this info .. thx tim and jerry and martin ,,no ticket this time ,just a warning I guess..


Directions are just another man's Opinion

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0