| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,094 Posts1,056,487 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 20 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 20 | I have been told that I cannot put disc brakes on my 62 C20. Does anyone have any experience with this application?
They say that there is no one that makes a after market set of disc brakes for the 1962 C20 with the torsion bar front end suspension.
Thanks GW | | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 57 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 57 | GW, I've been researching this on and off for about 8 years. I have a 61 C20 myself. performanceonline.com recently added C20 kits but you have to choose either 5 lug or 6 lug; they don't make 8. So why I haven't made a move yet is that I can't decide on 1) install 6 lug kit and use 6-8 lug conversion spacer (have yet to confirm that will work), 2) Install 6 lug kit and get 6 lug wheels in front, leaving 8 lug in back 3) install kit and swap rear ends (by now you know "swapping" a 60-62 rear end is a major project) with one with same lug pattern.
I like my 8 lug wheels, and I have some spiffy wheel covers from a 90-something 3/4 ton suburban that would have to go unless I choose option 1. I hope you get comments from someone who's already figured it out. So far it seems like C20's have had a low survival rate do to being "farm" or "work" trucks from the get-go.
Ray Virginia Beach '61 C20 | | | | | Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 20 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 20 | Ray, Thank you so much for the information. A lot of this is new information to me. I will let you know if I learn anything new. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | A kit like the POL kit for 3/4T 60-62 front disc is, of course, strong enough for 3/4. It is 6 lug. It may be possible to redrill the 8 lug pattern onto the rotor if there is enough space...or is there a 72 and up 8 lug rotor that will fit the kit?
If that idea or an idea near that, does not work, possibly buy the 6 lug front kit and install a 1/2T 60-? trailing arm style rear diff. Keep in mind when thinking about how to fab something that works, it's just a bracket that utilized existing bolt holes to hold 1972-up calipers, a rotor with a bearing set that fits your spindle and has 8 pressed in lugs. Not to oversimplify it, but to put it in perspective. If you can buy and modify or use donor parts, you can get it done. I say this, keeping in mind some have looked for 8 years! There has to be a way that's not real expensive.
The other option is a 73-86? front suspension swap. Maybe 63-86. Yours bolts off and the donor bolts on, with only two holes to drill. A lot of grunt work and heavy lifting but done by many and there are video/pics of the whole job online. If you want to stay with torsion bar, then this is not your option. I don't know if this option is the same procedure for 3/4 as it is for 1/2 T. The newer donor swap can give A-arm/coil suspension, free disc brakes and free power steering all in one swap.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 20 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 20 | Thanks Guys, This gives me some thing to work on. Gordon | | |
| |
| |