The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (klhansen, fonz8261, Shaffer's1950, Eileen, Uncles51, Rusty Heaps, 50Chevy3100), 87 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,295
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1249014 01/01/2018 5:48 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,554
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,554
I want to do some aluminum welding, have never done it, but I have welded lots of steel and stainless with Tig , Mig and stick.. I have heard I should get a spool gun, will that work with either my tig or mig welder? Both are Lincoln machines, does the spool just hook up to either of these machines? Dave


1941 Chevy
"First rebuild - complete!"
Follow the story in the DITY
1941 GMC resting peacefully
1946/1947 Chevy Street rod on s10 frame complete
1945 GMC panel truck in line for restoration
1941 Plymouth stock complete
1941 GMC COE in restoration process
Read his Project Journal
1941 Chevy Coe uncertain future resting now
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
If your TIG welder has an AC option then you’re all set to weld aluminum, nothing to buy but filler metal.
I weld a lot of aluminum wth the TIG, the puddle acts a little funny compared to steel but it welds easy enough.

A spool gun would allow aluminum welding with MIG, they can be expensive.
I’ve never tried one, hear it’s easy, point and shoot, but may be hard to get a consistently strong weld, takes fiddling with settings.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Grigg #1249404 01/04/2018 12:12 AM
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,081
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,081
I've watched a youtube video where a guy shows how to weld aluminum with MIG using the standard gun, not a spool gun. IIRC he recommended a particular wire that was stiffer than the normal aluminum so it would push thru the tube and gun without buckling. Might be worth a try if you can't swing buying a spool gun.
Unfortunately don't recall the link to the video - Just ran across it in youtube browsing one day.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
I've used a spool. It's better on 1/8" and up. It'll burn holes in the thinner stuff. Otherwise, if you clean the area you want to mate, it works pretty well. That means removing the oxidation. If you don't, welding will be a mess.

I had a Miller set up for welding aluminum only. But before I could play with it, it had to leave.

On my current Miller with the spool, it is already set up for that equipment. A place for the tank, connectors for the leads, etc. To adjust the settings for welding aluminum, you turn on your gas of choice and trigger the spool. The machine will read that you are in aluminum mode and will allow you to adjust at the spool gun itself. To go back to the MIG gun, trigger that one and it will switch back to the steel wire feed controls. This machine also comes with a bit of a cheat sheet. If you look at the upper part of the picture, you can see that they give you some basic settings for the particular type and thickness of metal that you are welding. Good starting points.
Attachments
MIGa.jpg (461.49 KB, 160 downloads)

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
The alloy number is 5356- - - -it's stiffer than other MIG spool wire, and is less likely to "bird's nest" in the drive roller. Hre's a video with a few other handy tips, like using a slightly oversize contact tip. I'm going to get a spool of aluminum wire and try it!



Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 96
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 96
would have to be welding a bunch of the right kind of aluminum parts
to be worth the effort to use a spool gun.

biggest thing you need is enough power to get the puddle quickly.
things like using stainless steel backing also helps.
inverter machines weld a little different then transformer machines.
on thin stuff you can ofttimes do outside corned with out filler.
if you do AC pulse it can give a nice pattern

one thing is running AC is noisy compared to doing steel and other DC

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
I have a Miller Dynasty 350 with a water cooled torch which I seldom use. I have an old Miller 251 with a push pull setup that we use for most structural welding we have to do on our trailers. A couple of years ago I bought a Miller 212 with a spool gun dedicated to it. This is the welder I use for everything I do. I don't weld a whole lot at one time and I guess the spool gun would get heavy over an extended period. Occasionally I have to use the 251 tp get into a tight place. But the 212 is my favorite for welding aluminum. Of course you get used to the machine you use the most. One of the local welders here uses nothing but tig on aluminum and won't hear of wire. The factory that builds our aluminum trailers uses nothing but wire for new construction as well as repairs.

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,081
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,081
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
The alloy number is 5356- - - -it's stiffer than other MIG spool wire, and is less likely to "bird's nest" in the drive roller. Hre's a video with a few other handy tips, like using a slightly oversize contact tip. I'm going to get a spool of aluminum wire and try it!



Jerry
That's the one I saw. I may give it a try at some point as well. But my next project is welding some stainless seat brackets for my boat. I need to find a small bottle of tri-mix gas for that.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
I don't bother with pre-mixed gases- - - -I have a bottle of CO2 and a bottle of Argon, T'd together upstream of the welder, and I adjust the regulator pressure to create my own mixes for mild steel and stainless. I haven't tried aluminum yet, but the tip about using stiffer wire sounds promising. My mix for stainless is about 90% Argon and 10% CO2. The weld is a little dark, but a quick buff with a stainless wire brush in a die grinder slicks it right up.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I use argon in the TIG for all metals. Argon/CO2 mix for the MIG, steel only so far.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
One project I'm considering is converting an aluminum oil pan for a 4.2 L Atlas engine to a rear sump configuration for use in a stovebolt with a straight front axle. That will involve more or less cutting the pan off a couple of inches below the engine block and fabricating a complete pan out of 12 gauge aluminum sheet metal. That should be an interesting project.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
One project I'm considering is converting an aluminum oil pan for a 4.2 L Atlas engine to a rear sump configuration for use in a stovebolt with a straight front axle. That will involve more or less cutting the pan off a couple of inches below the engine block and fabricating a complete pan out of 12 gauge aluminum sheet metal. That should be an interesting project.
Jerry
If you make all the welds sharp, square corners, you won't even need much, if any filler rod. Its referred to as fusion welding. I use a continuous tight circular motion, pushing the puddle along the ridge. I am guessing that you already know that.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
I've fusion-welded literally miles of stainless steel thinwall tubing in diameters from 2" to 6" while I was a welder/mechanic at Gallo Winery in Livingston California. During a modification of the plant piping before the harvest season began one year, we ran 8 miles of new 4" pipe. It was installed anywhere from 12 feet to 40 feet above ground level.

It's a little difficult to fusion weld with a MIG machine- - - - -my TIG isn't in working shape yet.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 1970
Posts: 365
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jan 1970
Posts: 365
A spool gun has to be run on a constant voltage machine, so a MIG machine.

I have a 15A spoolgun I used on a Millermatic 251. This set up is nice because you can adjust your inrush wirefeed speed. With a MIG welder, the power supply is designed to supply as much current as needed to maintain the voltage you have set. When starting the arc, the moment the wire touches the work, the current goes from zero to maximum deliverable by the power supply. The current on a MIG is NOT adjustable by itself, the wire feed speed actually helps determine the current a MIG supply will put out. With aluminum, particularly if your stickout distance from the tip is a little to long, the maximum current travels through the wire and 'vaporizes' it before it gets a chance to get an arc started on your work piece. This also burns the wire back into the tip, so you either replace the tip or get the aluminum dug out of it somehow. By adjusting the wire feed arc initiation speed, the wire is fed slower until the arc starts, and once the arc is going, the wire speed goes to the setting dialed in.


Remember 9-11-01--God Bless the USA
JUSTICE, not REVENGE, will prevail

1951 Chevy 1/2-ton Pickup truck
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,049
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,049
On my last job I had 18 4' x8' sheets of stainless to be welded in a box. Airtight seams. I wanted it TIGed but they convinced me to let them try a MIG on it. It came out very nice and way faster. I was pleasantly surprised.


Old enough to know better, too young to resist.
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,081
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,081
Originally Posted by mick53
On my last job I had 18 4' x8' sheets of stainless to be welded in a box. Airtight seams. I wanted it TIGed but they convinced me to let them try a MIG on it. It came out very nice and way faster. I was pleasantly surprised.
I got some flux core stainless wire and reinforced some boat seat bases. It was my first attempt at welding stainless (I did make a couple of practice passes on scraps), but they came out nicely. Wasn't much different than welding mild steel.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.

Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0