The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1247818 12/22/2017 6:44 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 155
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 155
Hi folks,, My driveway tells me I have a leak coming from the rear end of the truck, Thinking its the diff I wedge my Santa looking self under Her and find the drivers side rear shock leaking ALOT!,, these shocks have ext spring coils , Are these stock OEM ? and the one leaking looks like someone went at it with a hot wrench ??Hmm
Attachments
rear shock 63.jpg (199.96 KB, 189 downloads)
rear shock upper63.jpg (119.35 KB, 185 downloads)

Last edited by BoToepfer; 12/22/2017 6:45 PM.

I have a 55 second gen!,, work in progress
1963 long bed step side driver
Just a guy who digs old trucks!
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
I believe they are aftermarket adjustable coil overs (possible some home made pieces). Don't see coil overs mentioned in the literature. They did offer heavy duty shocks. The stock shocks were referred to as concentric. Which meant tube in tube. If it's half ton. I would replace with FLAPS shocks shown for that year.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 155
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 155
What are flaps shocks


I have a 55 second gen!,, work in progress
1963 long bed step side driver
Just a guy who digs old trucks!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
“FLAPS” Friendly Local Auto Parts Store.🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 155
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 155
I will catch on soon!


I have a 55 second gen!,, work in progress
1963 long bed step side driver
Just a guy who digs old trucks!
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
It's possible the Load Levelers were added to compensate for weak springs. I'd suggest putting the truck back on the ground after unbolting the aftermarket shocks to see where the ride height goes without the added lift of the coil-over shocks. It might be necessary to install new springs as well. Another option would be conventional shocks and aftermarket air bags that fit inside the springs. They're adjustable to compensate for load by simply adding/removing a little air, and they don't require the high pressure air source a set of Hijacker air shocks do.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 155
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 155
That is quite possible, the truck also has a diamond plate steel for extra weight !,, might go looking for some springs! I bought this truck as a "driver" to run around in while I continue to work on my 55,, WHY do I find myself not able to leave well enough alone and get into wanting to get a resto going!.. some one please help me ! hahaha

Last edited by BoToepfer; 12/27/2017 3:03 PM.

I have a 55 second gen!,, work in progress
1963 long bed step side driver
Just a guy who digs old trucks!
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 264
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 264
From those pictures it looks like the main springs are weak - coils look out of shape. And your shocks like was said above are coil over helpers that are breaking as well. I'll second a new set of shocks and springs are best bet for you.


1952 Chevrolet 1700 Bickle Seagrave
"Old Smokey'"
Following the build in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
Even if you go to new springs, I'd strongly recommend adding the inside the spring air bags. They give you the option of fine-tuning the ride height without having to run high pressure air shocks, and they can be dropped down to minimum pressure when the extra load-carrying capacity isn't needed. Most air bag manufacturers recommend a 5 PSI minimum pressure just to keep the bag inflated a little to avoid creases. That diamond plate will act like half a load of cargo all the time- - - -it softens the ride, but it also works the springs pretty hard.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
The "out of shape" coil springs could look that way because they are "two stage" coils that Chevy thought was a good idea. Center 3 coils closer together than end coils.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
Drive it Bo. Work the new shocks as you go. The ride with the heavy bed is actually better (in my opinion), but keep that on mind if loading firewood.


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Went back and took a serious look at your photos. That is some ugly hot wrench work by some hack trying to lower the ride height. Pull it all out and follow Jerry’s suggestions.🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
You say it's a driver to run around town. Take off the old "coil over" shocks and put on regular shocks. This will eliminate the leak which is your original question. Coil overs are a waste of money on that truck. Shocks don't carry weight, they absorb coil spring rebound. Dampen the movement. The coil overs don't help with load carrying. The coils are to accommodate adjustment/ride height and some side load/performance benefits........ for performance vehicles not old run-around trucks.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 155
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 155
I am hoping you all saw the fuel line I took off the truck This explains the ugly hot wrench work,, , Who can invest a few dollars in a cheap tubing bender and the use of a length of old coat hanger wire to run new rigid fuel lines?,, so I gather this "craftsmanship" is signed all over the truck


I have a 55 second gen!,, work in progress
1963 long bed step side driver
Just a guy who digs old trucks!
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
Removing the fuel line didn't melt and sag those spring coils, did it? I see at least a couple of coils that are cut completely in two, and others that have obviously been heated to the point they can't support any weight. Start by trashing both shocks and both springs, and then decide if you like the ride height with new springs installed. Shocks do nothing to carry weight unless they're the spring-assisted type, and those things have all sorts of downsides.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 155
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 155
I replaced them they were completely trashed springs when I get time,, Mister hot wrench assaulted them too!


I have a 55 second gen!,, work in progress
1963 long bed step side driver
Just a guy who digs old trucks!

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0