The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Gray_Ghost), 87 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,105
Posts1,056,541
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1246534 12/11/2017 8:11 PM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 123
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 123
ok so I figured I would take carb apart Rochester for 1956 235. followed instructions and when I was removing screws on the butterfly on the base section the screw broke off. When drilling it out the drill moved ever so little. What a mess. anyway; I figure if I drill it out a little over sized I can get a little larger screw in there after I tap it out. Will the little larger screw because it is a little heavier mess up anything with the movement of the butterfly?
If I can't do this where can I get a new butterfly shaft?
Any help would make me feel better as I have called myself an idiot all weekend.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
You will be fine, don’t sweat it.🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,835
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,835
Just be sure to use red Loctite on the screws when you reinstall them. You don't want one shaking loose and getting imbedded in the top of a piston! Did you drill or grind away the riveted part of the screws on the opposite side from the head before trying to remove them? They're not usually removed during a rebuild unless the shaft and/or bushings in the housing are being replaced.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,767
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,767
Jerry - have to disagree. Blue Loctite, not red!

For future reference:

Like Jerry said, the back side of the throttle plate and choke plate screws are "staked" to prevent them from backing out and being swallowed by the engine.

To remove the screw, grind off the staking BEFORE using the screwdriver.

IF you twist one off, DO NOT TRY TO DRILL IT OUT AND USE A NOT-SO-EASY-OUT!

Instead, grind off the head, and just start a hole from the head side. Now heat the throttle shaft and screw to not quite the melting point, and let it cool. Now put a very DULL bit a few thousands larger than the one you used for the starter hole in a variable speed drill, and attempt to jam the bit into the screw. Once the bit catches, the drill will spin the broken screw out in the normal direction of the screw.

Jon

Last edited by carbking; 12/11/2017 10:04 PM.

Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 123
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 123
Ok got all of that. I guess I should have read that info before I started. Now I have a broke screw half out. I am going to drill the hole and put a little larger screw in it. Hope that works and doesn't mess up how the baffle works


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0