The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (tclederman, DadsFirstPickup, 59 fleet, IHPWR, Ponchogl), 102 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 80
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 80
Does anyone have the original part # for the wiper switch on a 59 Apache with the electric two speed windshield wiper motor? It’s a two prong switch, I’ve searched high and low in the Assembly and Parts books with no luck. Thanks in advance!


1959 3204 Basic Cab
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
I don't have a part # but, in 20 years of owning my 59 Suburban, I never was able to fine a new one. I think I finally bought one for a 60's Chevy, it had an extra terminal on the back for the washers, and requires a bigger hole in the dash but the wiper konb is the same (as long as yours has the hole in it for the washer button). I drilled out the original nut (wanted to used it as a washer) and bought a couple of 1/2-28 jamb nuts off Ebay. That worked great and I kicked myself for waiting so long to do it.


I think this is one like what I bought. https://www.americanclassic.com/1964-66-Wiper-Switch-Two-Speed-W_-Washer/productinfo/67%2D648/


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 592
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 592
Newport Engineering makes reproduction/replacement electric wiper kits for the TF trucks. They are available from many vendors. They use a two speed rotary switch that fits the dash. You might be able to buy a replacement switch from them. I bet that it would do the trick for you.

If you don't like the way the Newport knob looks, you can replace it with a stock knob.

Matt
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 3.03.10 PM.png (178.95 KB, 134 downloads)

Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 80
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 80
Thanks for the information guys, this one has had me in fits trying to locate something


1959 3204 Basic Cab
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 592
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 592
I was searching the American Classic website after using Mike's link above. It looks as though they have the switch you are looking for--

https://www.americanclassic.com/1947-59-Wiper-Switch-Standard/productinfo/67-096/

That switch looks exactly like the Newport Engineering switch that I mentioned above, even has the same knob.

Matt

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
the 59 switch and motor is different than 55-57 .... the Newport switch might work for 59

Bill



Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Agree with Matt. A more "original" looking knob from some other component would be nice. (lighter, radio, etc.) I found a post where Bill and I (and others) were discussing this. Bill posted the pics there also. I have had TF's with the cable operated electric wiper which operates a slider switch on the wiper motor. It is very much like the vacuum wiper system. I think the agreement is that this cable deal was used on early electric wipers. There was a transition. Maybe to use-up parts. I also think that the note "not for use with original electric motor" may mean that the early cable controlled switch can not be wired to a dash switch or their switch won't play with the latter wiper relay. I have emailed them.

See this and this.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
the original switch for the 58/59 only has 2 lugs on it (as flxible shows above), on low, one of them supplies ground, on high, both of them do (or I have that backwards, don't remember offhand). The 55-57 electric are one speed if I recall, and use a cable type switch on the dash much like the vacuum switch. It controls a switch on the wiper motor itself. 58-59 2-speed elec motor is for those 2 years only and the switch is for those 2 years only. I wanted a switch that both the knob and the bezel/nut looked original (the aftermarket ones do not). That is why I went with the one for the newer Chevy truck like I posted above. It works with the 58-59 motor, you just need to get a new nut for it and drill out your original washer/nut. Once installed, it looks like the original, the knob will cover the new nut you put on and you can either hook up washers or if you don't need them and don't want the button sticking out the middle of your knob, you can cut it off the front of the switch.


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
The cable operated slider switch is also two speed.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Originally Posted by bartamos
The cable operated slider switch is also two speed.


Thanks for the info, I did not realize that! (mine is frozen in the off position and since I don't drive it, I have not messed with that yet!)


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0