The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (51sub), 128 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,338
Members48,440
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1245007 11/28/2017 9:17 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 310
8
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
8 Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 310
I'm looking at buying a rebuilt SM420 for my '51, and I've been doing some research on gear oil. From what I can glean from the internet, GL-5 oil is out. I have read some good reviews of Sta-Lube 85W90 GL-4, but it seems a bit pricey at almost $38 a gallon. Then I found that Coastal has 90 weight in both GL-4 and GL-1, at about $10 a gallon . Does anyone have any experience with the Coastal oil? Any opinions on GL-1 versus GL-4? GL-1 seems like it would be more in line with what was available 50 years ago, but that may not be the best.

Hopefully, things here don't get as heated as they do over motor oil preference. not me


-Tim
'51 Chevy 3104 w/'56 235, 848 Head, HEI Dizzy, Corvette Cam, Split Manifold and Dual Carter YF's
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 308
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 308
I saw that Quick silver Marine SAE 90 is the best for our SM420'S--Bill.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Coastal is fine.

SAE 90 "multi-purpose" gear lubricant was specified.

Any brand should be OK. I have used Coastal.

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
NAPA carries a GL-1, and I recently got some Lube King GL-4 90W in a 2 gallon container for a very good price even with shipping.
(Google it)In fact I bought two!


Ed
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
Valvoline Synchromesh is a GL4 oil. They claim to be good for pretty much everything.


1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 310
8
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
8 Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 310
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

The Quicksilver looks good, but a bit much for my current budget, Bill. I can order a gallon of Coastal for what a quart of the Quicksilver costs. With having two kids and three grandkids under my roof, I have to really watch the dollars.

I'm not sure that Valvoline has Synchromesh available anymore, Whitedog. I searched their website, and it wasn't found. What they did have on their site was rated GL-4/GL-5, which from what I've read is the same as using GL-5.

Thanks for giving me a bit more confidence about the Coastal, Tim. If I can't find anything at NAPA like Ed suggested, I am planning on ordering the Coastal I found online.

Any discussion about GL-1 versus GL-4 in our applications?


-Tim
'51 Chevy 3104 w/'56 235, 848 Head, HEI Dizzy, Corvette Cam, Split Manifold and Dual Carter YF's
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,809
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,809
The GL-4 has a few more additives for anti-rust, anti-foam, etc. which might not be absolutely necessary for use in a transmission, but "nice to have". The main concern is to avoid the extreme pressure additives the GL-5 has which can attack bronze parts such as synchronizer rings. I used to do a lot of business with a Fuller Roadranger transmission rebuilding shop in San Francisco when I ran a truck shop out there. They had 55-gallon drums full of trashed synchronizer rings caused by people running hypoid gear lube in Roadranger transmissions.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 310
8
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
8 Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 310
I was able to check a couple of places in town today. From what I saw, straight SAE 90 is still safe. All multi-viscosity oils I found today were either GL-5 or GL-4/GL-5. AutoZone had Pennzoil Synchromesh, which is GL-3, for $8.99 per quart. Our local farm store had Champion SAE 90 GL-3 for $27.99 per 2-1/2 gallon jug. NAPA was closed by the time I got there. At least I have options locally.


-Tim
'51 Chevy 3104 w/'56 235, 848 Head, HEI Dizzy, Corvette Cam, Split Manifold and Dual Carter YF's
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
My local Tractor Supply carries SAE 90 GL-1 labeled Ford Tractor Gear Oil...was about $18.00 for a 2-gal jug.

NAPA has SAE 90 GL-1 in a 1-gal jug for about $13.00, I just bought some last week for my Bolens Garden Tractor.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Thank you very much, Mike

I hope this information is read in the future.

SAE 90 GL-1 will work very well, and the price is right.
hmmm, there must be a more expensive, synthetic, multigrade, race-car-rear-end replacement? eeeek

Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 127
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 127
Would the Tractor Supply GL-1 SAE 90 Ford tractor oil be good to use in the 4 speed transmission of my '51 2-ton? It has a PTO attached, if that makes any difference. Or would something GL-4 be better?
The truck doesn't see a lot of use, but when it does, it's usually hauling about 12,000 lbs of grain, so I imagine there's some strain on the transmission that would need a pretty good lubricant, which might call for the GL-4? Tell me if I'm wrong, and if so, what the best option would be.
Thanks!

Last edited by 235Kidd; 01/10/2018 7:17 PM.

1951 Chevrolet 6400
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
SM420 transmission?

GL-1 SAE 90 is OK - SAE 90 was original spec.

Novak Transmissions: "An 80W-90, API-GL5 or MT-1 rated fluid is very good. Some claim faster shifts from using a 50W engine oil in their transmission and we do not consider this to be contraindicated unless you operate your vehicle in a very warm environment."


Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 127
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 127
I'm still pretty green, so how do I tell what transmission I have? All I know is the truck is a 6400, 4 speed, with a hi/lo rear axle.
Thanks!


1951 Chevrolet 6400
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
GM switched from the SM-420 4 speed to the SM-435 4 speed and NP-540 series 5 speed in 1967/1968.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
235Kidd - always list the year (with the make/model - which is apparent in your post).

Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
According to Novak's website, 67 was the last year for the SM420, 1968 was the first year for the SM465. The SM420 was still used in some Military trucks into the early 80s though.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transmissions/manual/sm420

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transmissions/manual/sm465/


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0