The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (2-Ton), 92 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,093
Posts1,056,474
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#124473 02/07/2007 5:18 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I'm finally ready to put bullet taillights on my '55 1st Suburban. I've collected four of them over the last couple of years. Today I looked at them and found three of the four have at least one significant problem.

Two of them are missing the little tab on the inside that has a threaded hole for the lens screw to go into to. Has anyone figured out an easy way to replace that tab? One of them part of the rivet is still there, the other has only an empty hole in the shell.

On the third one of the mounting studs is broken. These are small bolts that appear to be swedged (sp?) into place. I don't know how to remove it without causing more problems. Can anyone tell me how I should approach fixing this?


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 36
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 36
Nobody else has offered any help yet, so here are my suggestions.I am working on a 39 car, and I understand that the same bullets are used on your burb.I finally got 2 good ones, but have a couple like you describe.For the broke off studs, I figured I could cut it off flush, drill it out, then use a small bolt and nut to hold it. Nobody would know the difference.For the tab, you have one for a pattern.Bend up a little piece to match, drill and tap, and rivet it in place.If you go to ebay and look under 39 chevrolet parts, there are reproductions listed right now as well. Hope this helps Jim.

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Well with four of these things and one that was good enough to use I really only needed to fix one.

I choose to go after the broken stud instead of the missing tab. Instead of drilling I found a way to hold the shell and drive the broken stud out. I used vice grips to hold a combination wrench solid, and set the shell over the box end of the wrench with the back side of the stud in the box. It took some solid wacks but wasn't hard.

I screwed a couple nuts (to protect the threads) on a good stud on one of the tabless shells and drove that stud out and used it to make one more good bullet. I just held it in place with one finger until the nut was tight enough to hold it in place.

So now I have two bullet lights mounted on my Suburban and two that still need repair.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0