The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (klhansen, mick53, 1955 1 Series), 91 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,277
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1241640 11/02/2017 10:33 AM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 29
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 29
I would like to install shoulder belts in my 48 burb is there a kit that is made or do I need a trip to the salvage yard
thanks
Bob B

RoseB #1241644 11/02/2017 12:08 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bob,

All 8 seats/positiions with shoulder belts?

I have seat belts for 7 seats in my 1954 Suburban - but, no belt (yet) for the "jump seat".

I'll also be interested in information on installing shoulder belts, with the original seats.

RoseB #1241646 11/02/2017 12:12 PM
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 13
D
dbs Offline
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 13
some of the late model chevy pickups have seats with the shoulder belts built in. just need to fasten them the your floor really good. some say that you shouldn't put them in because the older trucks and cars were not designed for seatbelts. some say it would be a good thing. was going to put some in my panel but now I'm undecided. I don't think the metal on the side walls behind the seats would be strong enough to weld the shoulder bracket to. there was a thread on here awhile back on the subject.

RoseB #1241742 11/02/2017 11:51 PM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 29
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 29
I would be happy with shoulder belts just for the front seats I have lap belts now I don not know how safe they would be in a
crash

RoseB #1241787 11/03/2017 12:33 PM
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 13
D
dbs Offline
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 13
i heard that lap belts can do a lot of damage to you in certain crashes. kind of why they got rid of them. it really comes down to what you feel comfortable with. I'm still thinking about putting the seats in with the built in shoulder belts but would want to weld something under the truck where the seats would attach to make sure they could not come loose. would hate to go through the window with a seat strapped to me. I heard say that even the should strap one can hurt you. the addition of air bags are pretty much the answer but would be impossible to put in the older trucks. geez now I'm not sure which way to go myself.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Lap belts are better than no belts.

“They” never got rid of them. “They” replaced them with the safer and more effective shoulder belts. All auto/truck builders were required to design them into their new vehicles.

You should be able to figure a way to get shoulder belts for original side Suburban seats/occupants. The front “jump” seat might be a challenge and would need an awkward rear-bottom seat-base holder/clamp?

I’ll stick with the seat belts.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Lap belts are better than nothing, shoulder belts are better than lap belts alone and lap belts, shoulder belts and air bags are the best OEM have to offer. All are doable in a Stovebolt but you better know what you’re doing with airbags.🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Hmmm, the bottom line, well and clearly stated.

Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 13
D
dbs Offline
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 13
I agree that any seat belt is better than nothing in some cases. just saying don't be disillusioned into thinking that you will be as safe as in a newer vehicle by adding them. go watch some of the crash test of older vehicles on the internet. not sure if they will help all that much in a high speed crash. I will probably be adding the seats with the built in shoulder belt to mine sooner or later. but that is just for my own peace of mine. if you are trying to keep the original seats I really don't know what to tell you.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
You are correct dbs, the use of seat belts vs shoulder belts in an old truck is just one of the many significant safety differences between the 50s and now.

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 631
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 631
Also instead of buying junk yard belts..............look around new belts in various configurations, construction, sizes, colors, hardware included are available for very low costs. Configuration is about the way the the belt mechanism locks, senses the need to lock and retracts, the position the belt reel Ned’s to be in to Work probably etc

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 86
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 86
I am ok with smashing myself through the steering wheel and windshield of my 53 panel, but I am building it to haul my 2 young boys around to burger joints and car shows. I could not live with myself if they got hurt in a crash, that’s why I am installing NEW aftermarket shoulder belts in mine with the original seats. There is a good spot behind the top of the doors and on the midway brace in the cargo area for both front and rear seats respectively. Something is better than nothing and let’s hope none of us ever crash our beautiful old rides.


Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0