The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hotrod Lincoln, Guitplayer, TUTS 59, IHPWR), 185 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,227
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
One of the regulator springs was partially broken and reused by the PO. The problem is the window regulator automatically closes because the spring is wound too tight. I have a replacement new spring to install, but before I go dinking with this a couple of questions.


What is the recommended way to remove the old spring?

What is the recommended way to install the replacement spring.?

Thanks

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
Mine was riveted in. I drilled them out and used screws to reinstall. Also the after market did not fit. I had to cut some off and bend the end to fit. This is the spring in the area the crank shaft is housed.

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
Thank you GW! This one doesn’t appear to be riveted on, but attaches on the inner part of the coil to a channel in a protruding cylinder on the regulator and on the outer coil portion with the hooked end of the spring to a lug on another part of the regulator. The coiled spring looks to be under a load at all times, which is why I am wanting to be careful monkeying around with this. Ahh....at least for me, seemingly simple tasks on this learning adventure have more than I am embarrassed to admit have resulted in an adventure best avoided had I only slowed down and asked someone.

I’d post a photo, but apparently IPad software applications aren’t compatible with the posting feature offered here.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Lee, you may have to resize your images to post them. Did you get a “File too large memo” when you tried to upload? If so one of the programs listed in the “Posting images” Policy will cure your problem. I’m just guessing as I haven’t tried to post images from my iPad.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
I tried resizing the photos and posting. A message pops up saying words to the effect that the software used is not supported by the Stovebolt host software. My guess is it is a conflict between the Android vs Apple systems?

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
Update
Replaced the spring using vice grips and cautioning advice from the guys at the body shop. One of the shop guys reported he’d severely cut two fingers removing a similar spring design.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Another job crossed off the list. It won’t be long now.🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
I sure hope so!

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
The large counter balance spring did not keep the window up on my truck. I had several and none would hold the window up. It was the small spring in the crank shaft that worked for me.

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
Gene
Discovered this morning that there is still a problem with the crank. I will order a window regulator clutch spring from Chevy of the 40’s. Looks like they are the only ones that carry that part.
Oh well...there are other tasks on the project needing done too, so in the meantime maybe something else will get completed.

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
Good luck

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
Well.... The replacement window regulator clutch spring arrived today. Hope this would be a win for the week went to a zero...fast. Drilled and punched out the three rivets in housing, then cleaned all the parts and removed the old and broken spring. The new spring was too big and needs modification, as GW previously indicated in his experience. I moved on for the remainder of the day to other project tasks on the list. Needed to cool off and think some about that spring, remedy and maybe other options.

Am I the only guy working on these old iron heaps that thinks repop parts should come with a free flask of Irish whisky? At least then there might be a bit of luck the stuff fits/works without modification.

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
Update and end of the report for this task.

SUCCESS!!! A window regulator repair kit from Jim Carter’s was the winning repair option.



Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0