The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gray_Ghost, 1 invisible), 111 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,697
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 3
E
New Guy
New Guy
E Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 3
Hey, novice mechanic and new stovebolter here. I'm restoring a 1959 Viking 60 who's brakes don't work. I can push the pedal straight to the floor without any resistance. Until last month, the brake system has been without fluid for around 10 years. When I added fluid, looked like it was dripping from around the master. A week after adding fluid and pumping the pedal for a minute, the master cylinder is without fluid again. So, I figure it's got some bad seals in the master cylinder. I took the master cylinder out and here I am.

From my reading, most trucks of this size have a 1-1/4" bore master cylinder but I have a 1-1/2" master cylinder. Right now I am leaning towards getting a rebuild kit for the cylinder if I can find one.

So, is it normal to find this in this truck? Where might I find a rebuild kit for this master cylinder? Am I approaching the brakes issue the wrong way?

Info:
(Canadian) VIN: 96503607883E
VIN Plate Image: https://photos.app.goo.gl/19gcd6NvLYV95Y0t2

Master Cylinder Number: 5455375
Master Cylinder Casting # Image: https://photos.app.goo.gl/iwNn5yO6HTvFNnGj1

Thanks!

Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
welcome to the site! The master cyl diameter on my 58 Viking 60 was 1 1/4. Napa had the kit. You will want to rebuild all of the wheel cylinders as well and replace all the brake lines, both rubber and steel. They may look OK on the outside but rot and rust from the inside. Napa shows both the 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 kit for a 59. The 1 1/2" cylinder kit as a UP209. Raybestos part # is MK209 and is 10$ cheaper at Rock Auto than Napa.

Both places should have wheel cylinder kits. There are 2 different styles for the rear so, you need to pull them apart to see which ones you have.


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 3
E
New Guy
New Guy
E Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 3
Thanks, I'll order MK209 from rockauto when I get home.

Yup I was planning on doing all the cylinders and all the brake lines. I have a spool of 1/4" steel brake line around, I'll just have to find the rubber lines.

Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Rock Auto has the rubber lines as well. rear for my 58 was BH4000, fronts were BH25664. Verify for yours though.


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0