The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (KEVINSKI, mick53, 55shaker, Peggy M, Gdads51, Hanks custodian, MickeyP, 1 invisible), 148 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,137
Members48,435
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 156
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 156
Evening! Tonight I decided to install the door opening weatherstrip I bought several years ago (1951 3104, page 1-7 of Shop Manual). I have read they are notoriously difficult to pull through the metal channel that is spot-welded to the frame. One poster years ago recommended cutting a short section of weatherstrip (I cut 1 inch), and sliding it through the channel to make sure the channel is clear of crimping and old weatherstrip remnant, after you've cleaned it out. Great idea.

Mine were so clear that I thought, this will be a piece of cake. A few minutes later I tried silicone spray (I think this will not damage the Taiwanese rubber??). Then I decided to try the old standby, a liquid soap / water solution. Then I decided to try an alternate method that ultimately worked. I pushed one "lip" of the weatherstrip into one side of the channel and used a paint-can opener (from a hardware or paint store), to push the other lip into the other side of the channel. I don't know if it was any faster, but I'm pretty sure it was much less frustrating. The worst "pinch point" was where the front pillar (hinge pillar) meets the dashboard. There ain't a lot of room to fit that rubber strip. Tomorrow I'm going to use a razor blade to trim part of the rubber so it fits better along that roughly 6" section. It won't show, because that part of the strip would ordinarily fit (verrrry tightly) into the crevice formed where the dash and pillar meet.

Hope this helps somebody.


DJ
'51 Chevy 3104 1/2-ton 216
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Instead of trimming the rubber or trying to tuck it in the dash crevice, I just let mine slip past the dash.

http://www.bunchobikes.com/1952suburban237.JPG

http://www.bunchobikes.com/1952suburban238.JPG

http://www.bunchobikes.com/1952suburban243.JPG

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 156
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 156
Yours looks nice but mine is very noticeably out of the channel at that location. I may give it another shot.


DJ
'51 Chevy 3104 1/2-ton 216
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
I think what really helped me was that I had just painted the interior with a glossy paint. Combined with soapy water, slipped through just fine.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
I have a '52 and I am thinking about using the 47-49 style of windlace since my '52 tracks are rusted beyond reasonable repair. I don't have the 47-49 metal windless retainers so I plan on just screwing right through the rubber, into the cab without the metal retainers.
This truck is a resto-mod so originality doesn't matter to the guy who I am building it for.
For the headliner, I also plan on using the 47-49 screw down center strip in place of the '50-55.1 floating style if I can figure out how.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 156
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 156
Hey there MNS and Carl. My understanding is the weatherstrip that goes on the door itself is held on by adhesive. Is that correct? If you've found an adhesive you like, what is it? Thanks.


DJ
'51 Chevy 3104 1/2-ton 216
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Correct. I use 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Ditto on the 3M. Been around for many years. Even the pros use it. 🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
Ah god, I'm glad this job is done on my 53, I hated it, what a pita. I ended up trimming the area around the dash too. It went to harbor freight and bought these plastic pry tools to be used the way you used the paint can opener except it doesnt damage the windlace.
https://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-auto-trim-and-molding-tool-set-67021.html

PS, the guy that came up with the idea of cutting a small piece of windlace to test for pinch points in the tract should of been Knighted. Brilliant idea, because I think after it was installed on the assembly line somebody came around with a rubber hammer and intentionally hit the rubber and tract in several places to lock it in.

Last edited by sstock; 10/27/2017 2:20 PM.

1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done
In the DITY Gallery
Video of the 261 running

1964 GMC 1000
305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 631
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 631
Just completed the windlace install after a long delay.....because I dreading sliding the windlace around the door. There is a you tube video showing the push install method istead of the slide install method.

After trying both methods found the push install method was much faster and easier. Installed both sides by myself in less than 30 minutes. Using a nylon trim tool and 90* bent hook tool.







Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0