New wheels coming so I've been cleaning up the drums etc and have now finished with the front set.
When I removed the left rear wheel I found some oil. I've been searching some in the forum but decided to ask based on the photos I took. Might be something I don't want to do on the driveway. Is this typical for an axle seal or is it something else?
Appreciate any direction or clues.
Edit-----> I don't own a paper manual just yet. I did find this page which is where I feel I need to look or is it going to be deeper than this?
That looks like gear lube. You need to pull the hub & replace the seal. The brake shoes will need to be replaced too as they have grease on them. The wheel cyl. will need o-haul or replaced also. There is no way to clean the linings up. They will always grab & lock up. That is not a job for a novice working in the driveway unless you have good mechanical skills. George
They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super In the Gallery Forum
Is there up and down movement when you lift up the axle flange? If there is, a seal will not fix the leak for very long. Excess play is due to worn outer axle bearing.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Thanks for the replies gentlemen yes it's gear lube or oil, that I can tell. I just replaced 2 calipers, one wheel cylinder and flushed the brake fluid reservoir/lines on my 94 Chevy truck and am intimately familiar with regular brake fluid and twisting off rusted bleeder valves
I'm looking into information regarding replacing the bearings and seals. Not sure I want to tackle it on the drive with the weather changes now coming for our area so I might try to find someone to possibly help with the project.