The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (55shaker, Barry Martak, Bill Hanlon, 1 invisible), 126 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,416
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1239813 10/18/2017 11:09 PM
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 50
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 50
I have a question: I'm trying to ID the engine in this truck. When it was rebuilt it was painted orange. I was told that it was a 235 when I bought the truck but the seller was basically buying and reselling old trucks and did not really know much about the restoration of the truck which was done before he acquired it.

I cannot find casting numbers except for the date code by the starter (E224 which is May 22, 1954). The block code is not between the distributor and road draft tube as shown in the photos here: http://1954advance-design.com/Web%20images/casting-code-photos/codes-ser-nums.html

The head casting code is not visible either as shown in the pics in the link above. Aside from the date code, the only castings visible are 1 GM on the front of the block and on the head where the casting code is located in the photos in the link above.

There is a set of captain's bars above the starter - I cannot see the bars on the driver's side because the manifold is in the way. Depending on the sources I've read, some think that in 1954 the 235 had the captain's bars in addition to the 261 and others think that only the 261s have them.

The last bit of info is the serial number to the left of the distributor: 0697308 F54N which seems to indicate a 6000 series with HD engine according to this link: http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/chevyresto/54057.htm

Going with this limited info I'm thinking I may have a 261 motor. Can anyone advise me on alternate locations for block and head casting numbers?


1953 Chevy 3100 Pickup
1954 Chevy 6400 Grain Truck
1957 Pontiac Transcontinental
1958 Buick Limited 2 Dr
1968 Ford Galaxie 500
1974 Ford F-350 Flat Bed (Dump Bed), former Pioneer Seed Truck.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." ~ Benjamin Franklin
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Definitely a 261!


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 50
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 50
Thanks!


1953 Chevy 3100 Pickup
1954 Chevy 6400 Grain Truck
1957 Pontiac Transcontinental
1958 Buick Limited 2 Dr
1968 Ford Galaxie 500
1974 Ford F-350 Flat Bed (Dump Bed), former Pioneer Seed Truck.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0