The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gray_Ghost, 1 invisible), 179 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,269
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1239459 10/16/2017 3:22 AM
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 88
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 88
After a long and painful search I finally found the front yoke and tranny plate I needed to make my 57 tranny work with my original 54 torque tube axle. The only remaining part I need to find is the rear yoke that fits the propeller shaft in the torque tube. I think and hope this yoke is more common than the last yoke which is made for the half ton 4 speed and also has the drive for the speedo drive gear. Can anyone tell me if any other year would this 54? Would a car yoke fit? Any differences in this yoke between the 3 and 4 speed? I know the 3/4 ton yoke wont work because its a 10 spline and I need a 17 spline.

Thanks for any comments

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
What type of 1957 transmission?

The u-joint yoke that fits into the torque-tube does not have the speedometer gear on it.

The 3-speed and 4-speed yokes are different.

Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 88
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 88
Originally Posted by tclederman
What type of 1957 transmission?

The u-joint yoke that fits into the torque-tube does not have the speedometer gear on it.

The 3-speed and 4-speed yokes are different.

I should clarify things. Its an SM420. The yoke that bolts to the tranny shaft is what I have and it does have the speedo gear. The yoke I need is the slip yoke that slides on the propeller shaft inside the torque tube. I am thinking that yoke may be the same between the 3 and 4 speed and possibly similar year cars. As far as I know but could be wrong there is no difference in the axle in a 3 speed and 4 speed 3100. If the axles are the same that rear slip yoke should be the same as well. It might be a stretch to think a car yoke may fit but I think its possible.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
1940-54 car and 1/2 ton do use the same rear yoke.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 88
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 88
Originally Posted by Pre '68 Dave
1940-54 car and 1/2 ton do use the same rear yoke.
Sweet that's what I was hoping to hear. I'm tired of all these 54 truck specific parts that are impossible to find. I'm due for a commonly used part.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0