Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,269 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2016 Posts: 102 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2016 Posts: 102 | Removing the oil pan on my 235ci. Engine is mounted on the chassis so I'm doing this laying down. All bolts have been removed but it just seems to be glued in place, can't pull it off. I've tried tapping on the sides with a rubber mallet, also I noticed a little access hole in the block that gets you some edge on the lip of the pan, this is just below the Generator area. I tried tapping with a metal rod thru that hole on the lip of the pan, but it just starts to bend the lip of the pan, but the pan isn't coming off. Do I need to really hulk smash thru there or any tips on getting this thing removed? Appreciate the help. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | I have used a thin/strong putty knife. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,440 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,440 | Might just help to know what year your working on. As Tim said a strong putty knife and a hammer. I can’t think of anything holding it other than the PO put some really sticky silicone on it for a gasket sealer.ðŸ›
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2016 Posts: 102 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2016 Posts: 102 | Thanks Tim! I just did some scraping with a putty knife around that front left corner, got it there to start then was able to put a larger screw driver in the corner and leverage and it just popped off!! Whew, now the fun begins right? | | | | | Joined: Jun 2016 Posts: 102 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2016 Posts: 102 | Tim, it's interesting the 2 gaskets at the front and rear of the pan are cork, just like the sides. I see many of the gasket kits they sell today, the sides are still cork, but the front & rear are a black rubber or silicone (those round 180 degree gaskets). You can imagine there is much cork residue left in the recess areas I have to remove before using these new rubber gaskets, any special tools to scrape these out? I've been using a variety of sizes of flat head screw dirvers, they seem to work pretty good but it is slow going. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 | Look for a scotchbright dist which goes on an angle grinder. Another option is a Norton paint remover disc. They will take the adhesive off without harming the metal.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2016 Posts: 102 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2016 Posts: 102 | Thanks Carl! I have a dremel tool, hopefully they have scotchbright bits for that. Also, would it be reasonable to try and burn some of the cork residue off with my small butane torch? | | | | | Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,067 Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums | | Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,067 | They make the paint removal disks that fit on a hand drill as well. Might be able to make quicker work of it with a bit larger disk than a dremel will handle. Look up 3M #7772ES
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truckFollow this saga in Project JournalPhotos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2016 Posts: 102 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2016 Posts: 102 | | | |
| |