I am considering purchasing a '66 Chevy 1/2 ton 2WD SB step side that has been lowered with drop spindles, shorter springs etc. If I decide to buy it, I will not tolerate this lowered stance as hugging the ground is just not practical for my driving needs. My plan will be to put it back to stock or near stock ride height.
That said, I have located a 1965 Chevy LB parts truck at a reasonable price but cannot get enough information besides pictures from the seller. The truck is surrounded by tall weeds, so I cannot see the wheels. The serial number is C2545K154062. Can anyone tell me with certainty if this a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton? The truck is located about 2 hours away and I would hate to drag a trailer that far for nothing.
Thanks
John
Last edited by J Lucas; 10/06/201711:54 PM.
~ J Lucas 2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6 2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s) 2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0 1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton 1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB In the Gallery My Flicker Photos!
The 2 is 3/4T. the 5 is long bed. This is the VIN code system. The trucks were also had a series system C10, C20, K10, K20...... 1/2 T VIN was either 14 or 15 (short or long bed). No short bed 3/4 available.
They were also known by a model number: C1434, C1534, C1404, C1504, C2534, C2504...... Kxxxx, etc. This designated long, short, fleet side and step side. Too many numbers!!!!!!!
60-64 has a different set of designators/VIN than 65-66.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
The 1st part of the serial number for the 1/2 ton is C1446Z. Can you tell me if it was originally a step side, or could it have had a fleetside box from the factory? It doesn't really matter, I just try to find out as much as possible.
~ J Lucas 2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6 2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s) 2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0 1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton 1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB In the Gallery My Flicker Photos!
One thing you can look for is on the rear of the cab. If it was originally a fleetside, the is no splash guard panel on the lower corner of the back of the cab. If it was originally a stepside, the splash guard is there. In the attached picture, you will see there is no splash guard. This truck did not originally come with a stepside bed. I know this because I changed it from a fleetside to a step side after I got the truck. I still need to fabricate and add the splash guards to keep road debris and other junk off of the steps.