The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (BC59, Hotrod Lincoln, Lostbuthaulinass), 111 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,410
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 128
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 128
I want to do a real gold leaf lettering on my 45 GMC similar to what you would see on a fire truck lettering and stripping. I know there is vinyl out there, but that's not going on my truck. My question is, how do you get the circle swirl marks into the gold leaf? Lastly, will a acrylic clear coat over the gold leaf work for outside protection??

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 586
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 586
I have seen vinyl and I think it looks poor.The real gold leaf looks rich, but is costly.I don't think the acrylic clear coat will work over vinyl.


Wanted Good Woman:
Must be able to cook , clean , sew , tune engines and polish trucks. Must have old Stovebolt and garage. Please send picture of old Stovebolt and garage.
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 576
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 576
never seen it done in person,but have seen it a few times on video.they've always used a round brush and twirled it. brush looked something similar to a stenciling brush..........dave


1949 Chevrolet 3100

"When this thing hits 88 miles an hour, you're going to see some serious sh%t." -Doc Brown
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
I haven't done so, but I would check the net...anything there regarding proceedure? It must be somewhere on the internet I would think.


When I yield to Him, it's amazing how peaceful and enjoyable life is meant to be.

1947 Chevy COE
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More photos
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 128
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 128
I dont plan on using vinyl. I purchased the real gold leaf and sizing (glue that makes the gold stick). I have done some test pieces. Interesting enough, I can not find anything on the web that give instructions on how to get the swirl effect. If anyone can point me in the right direction, please advise.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 507
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 507
Chuck, lots of good info thanks for the link.


"If it ain't Steel it ain't Real"
"Earth the insane aslyum for the rest of the Universe"
41 1/2-ton, a work in progress
68 Shortbed stepside 327/325hp/700R4

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0