The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Shaffer's1950, DannyW, Otto Skorzeny), 126 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,080
Posts1,056,291
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
Am about ready to reinstall fenders/inner fenders & hood after complete restoration. My question is should I get the inner fenders & fenders fitted up to the hood & adjusted as well as possible before installing the after marked grille?? ** Vehicle is a 53 3100

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
Did you mock up the front clip with the new grill prior to paint? I hope so because some of them don't match the conture of the fenders at the top.
To answer your question more directly, you need to have the grille in place while aligning the front clip. Everything needs to be in place with ALL fasteners loose as a goose.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
For what this is worth:

Excellent question, Carl

Excellent suggestion, Carl

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 554
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 554
I have only done this once so I am no expert but I am certain that there is no way I could have got the grill in after everything else was adjusted and tight.
I went the loose-goose route. Even then it was a little bit of a challenge to get every last bolt started on all the parts. The hood alignment was what I did last and took the most time to get everything gapped just right but in the end it came out great.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
Originally Posted by Hookalatch
I have only done this once so I am no expert but I am certain that there is no way I could have got the grill in after everything else was adjusted and tight.
I went the loose-goose route. Even then it was a little bit of a challenge to get every last bolt started on all the parts. The hood alignment was what I did last and took the most time to get everything gapped just right but in the end it came out great.
Just to save headaches for future first time front clip installers (God be with their poor souls), it is advisable to adjust the hood BEFORE adjusting anything else. This is outlined in the Truck Shop Manual.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0