| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
3 members (WICruiser, 2 invisible),
142
guests, and
4
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,269 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2000 Posts: 116 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2000 Posts: 116 | Hi,
I'm in the process of re-doing my 37 1/2 ton and intend to change colors. The truck was painted 20 years ago with acrylic enamel, which has held up very well over the years. I realize that outfits like Maaco generally scuff with 180 and re-paint, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't sand all the surface with 180 first, then shoot a coat of 2K epoxy primer over everything, then seal, then finish coat. Would this be advised and would it give a better finish? In my previous paint jobs, I have taken the vehicles down to bare metal, but as I said above, this paint job has held up very well and I don't see the need to take it down to bare metal.
Second question: can I spray catylized urethane over the acrylic enamel, either straight after sanding or after applying epoxy as suggested above?
Thanks for your help!
Jim | | | | | Joined: Oct 2015 Posts: 338 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2015 Posts: 338 | I like that you recognize the fact that the current paint job is a good substrate to paint over. Too many feel it needs to go to bare metal which is not required in most cases.
You are not going to need any epoxy primer unless you end up with large areas of bare metal. Epoxy is only for bare metal as a rust corrosion inhibitor. Perhaps you meant Urethane High Build Primer? UHBP is the last coat before painting and final sanding it in 180 would be too coarse of a grit. The Technical Data Sheet from the product you end up with will describe exactly the grit you should use.
After HBP is blocked out, then you can paint.
Going over acrylic enamel with UHBP is not going to be a problem like it would be if you were priming over lacquer... better to do a small test area first to see if it wrinkles your finish before you start hosing it on regardless... you just might have lacquer on it... A solvent wipe would do the same test.
Good luck with your paint job!
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2000 Posts: 116 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2000 Posts: 116 | Darcy,
Thanks for your reply--much appreciated. Yes, I have high build primer ready to go, once everything is well sanded. I assume I'll need to finish with a seal coat before spraying the urethane color coat.
Jim | | | | | Joined: Oct 2015 Posts: 338 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2015 Posts: 338 | Jim, If it's covered in UHBP, there's no need for a sealer. Put the urethane right on it. | | |
| |
| |