The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (Leo, wvstovebolt, SuperSport, Flint48, Red75bronco, 78buckshot, TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 85 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,697
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
I just found this three hours away. It solves a lot of my problems. I'm hoping to make the trip tomorrow.

https://s19.postimg.org/ba5nxy7lv/IMG_5320.png

Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
So I brought it home today. I was getting it for parts but I'm tempted to use it. It was a 72 C30 motorhome. The guy is using the cab for another project. The cab was immaculate. He's using it for another project and they buried the camper. lol This thing only has 62,000 miles on it and it was under a cover when it was stored. Since it was a motorhome it's got a ridiculously long wheel base. 157" That might be cool for my flat bed concept.
https://s19.postimg.org/dds2svsar/IMG_5338.jpg

Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
So since I've decided I'm using the 72 frame I was able to get some work done today. I got the hubs and wheels back on the 63 so I can push her out of the garage. I got the engine out and into the frame of the 72. It's just laying there for now I needed somewhere to put it. I'll try to get the cab off sometime this week and get busy dialing the new frame in.

https://s19.postimg.org/48zc9qosj/IMG_5468.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/c4eh2ansz/IMG_5472.jpg

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 436
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 436
Very Cool!

When I had to swap the frame on my ' 63, I jacked up the frame and cab as a unit, then built an A-Frame through the open windows, unbolted the frame, and swapped out the tires/rims for a set of bare times. I then lowered the frame down on to the rims and rolled it out from under the cab.

That way I could swap out the running gear and roll the new frame under the cab, lift it and bolt it to the cab. Remove the A-Frame and put the original times/rims back on. That made the swap very easy.

From the pictures you posted, it looks like that process might work for you.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Photo content reported to Moderator for review and removal of non-stovebolt related photos.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
Photo content reported to Moderator for review and removal of non-stovebolt related photos.

Did I have some wrong pics up? Have they already been removed? I'm not sure what you are referring to.

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Originally Posted by Stutter
Did I have some wrong pics up? Have they already been removed? I'm not sure what you are referring to.

Your photo hosting site has advertising content that is not G or PG rated.

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
I just sent pm to Martin to find out. Not sure what he is referring to yet unless maybe your photo folders allow us to see your personal stuff. Stand by. I will clarify.


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
Ah, thanks guys. The recent stuff I've been sharing is hosted at postimages.org. I switched to it when I got duped by Photobucket. I had no idea there was any advertising at all. I haven't seen any. All I use it for is truck stuff so there shouldn't be other images there. I'll wait to hear what the issue is. Not intentional and I apologize.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
When I open your photo links I see your intended photos but as I scroll down I see photos of scantily clad young ladies. Try switching hosting sites. Hambone can delete the photo post if he deems it inappropriate. I suggest everyone start using the new Stovebolt photo procedure outlined at the bottom left of this thread. No harm no foul.👋🏻


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
When I open your photo links I see your intended photos but as I scroll down I see photos of scantily clad young ladies. Try switching hosting sites. Hambone can delete the photo post if he deems it inappropriate. I suggest everyone start using the new Stovebolt photo procedure outlined at the bottom left of this thread. No harm no foul.👋🏻

WOW! I had no idea! Maybe if Photobucket started that they wouldn't have to charge! Haha! I'll change how I use photos. Thanks guys!

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
Thanks stutter. I am enjoying your progress. You are making quick work of things and it is inspiring


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
We'll, I changed my mind again. I think it's part of the process for me. I try not to have too ridged of expectations. I'm approaching this build as a "let's see what we end up with" so I can take advantage of finds and deals. I've decided to stay on my 63 frame. The more I looked at the 72 the more work it needed and the bigger that 157" wheel base got. lol I'll swap the front crossmember and suspension. The rear end is too narrow to use. I thought it was cool but it won't fit on my 63. They are both Eaton rear ends so I'm figuring I can use the dually hubs. I'll get another rear end eventually.
Since I'm keeping this frame I bobbed It. I had to do something to make me commit. Hahaha! Bare with me!

https://imgur.com/gallery/xK07k

Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
I had a couple hours today before work so I started tearing into the 72 frame. I was able to get better measurements and it looks like I'll be able to use the narrow rear end. I just have to relocate some mounts. So I'm happy about that.

https://imgur.com/gallery/lax22

Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
Managed to scrounge up enough lumber and some casters to build a cab dolly for this weekends work. I hope to get the cab off the 63 and and the suspension off the 72 so they can haul it off for scrap. Then it's time to start cleaning up the 63 frame for paint.
Here's my crude dolly. It's not pretty but it'll work. haha
https://imgur.com/gallery/gfZME

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
Built one very similar. They work great.

Last edited by Hambone; 08/26/2017 11:32 PM.

~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
I wasted some time this weekend trying to get the cab bolts off. I read how many people had trouble with them so I thought I'd save time and go right to cutting them off. My saw burned out. I borrowed a buddy's and the battery was shot. So it's still not done. Hahaha
So this morning I got the rear end off the 72. I unbolted everything from the front but the sway bar doesn't clear so I have to remove it. I ran out of time and had to get to work. I'll finish up in the morning so they can haul off the 72 frame for scrap. I need the room in my driveway.

https://s19.postimg.org/kd2yo5u6b/IMG_5669.jpg

Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
I got lucky today dropping the crossmember. There was an emergency brake cable hanging up and I cut it off with an angle grinder. The frame slowly see-sawed up and out of my way. I'm lucky it didn't come up fast. I was able to control it the whole way up. Sure made rolling the front end out easier.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Rrrjw

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Lucky you still have all your teeth! (You do, don't you? LOL!) grin

Last edited by Lugnutz; 08/31/2017 12:54 AM.
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
Originally Posted by Lugnutz
Lucky you still have all your teeth! (You do, don't you? LOL!) grin
That was my first thought! LOL Pretty lucky. But honestly while I was removing bolts and jimmying things around there wasn't much force trying to pull it up. The cable wasn't pulled super tight either. I was leaning over it when I cut it and it lifted right into my hand so I was able to hold it and control it all the way up.

Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
I got a better saw and got the cab bolts cut off today. Removed the steering column and e-brake stuff too. Now the cab is finally disconnected for removal.

https://imgur.com/gallery/IeJM0

Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
No work on the truck this weekend but I spent some time in the garage. I got an area cleaned out so I could do some welding and realized I was out of gas. So no welding this weekend. LOL
So I spent some time working on an old grill I got a couple months ago. It's a 6 foot long commercial boiler that was supposedly changed over to propane. But I got it apart and realized all he did was change the connection. So it's time to drill some holes and do some more converting. It's a fun project.

https://imgur.com/gallery/DHDqD

Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
I got a chance to brush up on my torch skills today. I haven't touched one in probably 25 years. I did well on the flat cuts but running down the sides was a bear. LOL I need the 72 frame out of my drveway so I can roll my 63 out of the garage. It's been holding me up. So I cut it up to fit in my pick up so I can haul it off to the recycler. My tow truck buddy has been way too busy to come by and grab it.
https://imgur.com/gallery/exSTD

Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
I finally got her rolled out of the garage today to get the cab off. I was able to stand back a bit and check out how she looks with the back end cut off. I dig it. Can't wait to see a little flat bed on it.

I used the U bolt brackets from the rear end of the 72 to secure that contraption I built to attach to the cherry picker. Kind of cool using old stuff.

I did tons of prep and research and it payed off the cab came off with little effort. I had a buddy over for an extra set of eyes and hands but I could have easily did it myself.

https://imgur.com/gallery/74tDr

Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
I pulled the crossmember and a few other things off the front end today. The rear cab mounts were barely hanging on. LOL I got one off and I'll get the other tomorrow along with the rear end. Then more wire wheel to get the frame ready for paint. I've got some fun ideas for paint.
https://imgur.com/gallery/6aSDg

Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
Making quick work of things


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
Originally Posted by Hambone
Making quick work of things

Thank you. I'm trying to keep things moving. I'm going to have to start buying parts soon. That's when things slow down. haha

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 436
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 436
Originally Posted by Stutter
Thank you. I'm trying to keep things moving. I'm going to have to start buying parts soon. That's when things slow down. haha

That's how it usually goes. We either have the time for the work, or the money for the parts. Rare that we have both at the same time.

Keep us all posted on your progress. It's looking good so far.

Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
Originally Posted by 62Stick
That's how it usually goes. We either have the time for the work, or the money for the parts. Rare that we have both at the same time.

Keep us all posted on your progress. It's looking good so far.

Yeah, I'm heading into my slow season at work which means extra time and no money. haha But there's plenty of cleaning and painting work I can do till work picks up again.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0