The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Robert Crandall, Bill Hanlon, TGP), 150 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,228
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 127
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 127
Ok so can anyone tell me what the Delco/Remey part number was for a 1954 chevy truck ignition switch? Mine went south on me so I had to get a new one. I bought a 1116469 nos on eBay. The outside case on mine and the new one look the same, but the inside looks a little different. My tumbler fits in the new one fine but instead of having 2 positions of just on and off, I have 3. The middle one keeps it on while the outside 2 shut it off. It said this was for my year and truck but I don't think it is lol.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 127
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 127
So would the 1116479 be the right one then? I guess I'll use this one until I find the right one.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
The 54 truck ignition switch is a two position........ON and OFF. You supply hot to one terminal and by turning switch to ON you pass the hot to the other terminal/or other two terminals wired to foot switch/coil and other components as desired. (Accessories)


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
And, you can wire it for turn left or turn right ON. I wired mine backwords in 1981, and it has been backwards even since then.

The foot switch is always hot. Turn the ignition switch On and you send power to the coil.

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
And power to the coil comes on without the ignition switch being on if one has +12 volts to terminal on the coil with the ignition resistor bypass in the starter switch.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 127
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 127
The 1116469 that I bought does work, but it has 3 positions in it. As stated mine is suppose to be just on and off. I think the correct number for mine should have been the 1116479 and not the 1116469. The 1116469 that I just bought also allows me to take the key out of the ignition no mater which position it's in, even when it's running. That for sure can't be right. Anyway I guess it will work for now until I find the correct unit.

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 127
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 127
The 1116469 that I bought does work, but it has 3 positions in it. As stated mine is suppose to be just on and off. I think the correct number for mine should have been the 1116479 and not the 1116469. The 1116469 that I just bought also allows me to take the key out of the ignition no mater which position it's in, even when it's running. That for sure can't be right. Anyway I guess it will work for now until I find the correct unit.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Originally Posted by EdPruss
And power to the coil comes on without the ignition switch being on if one has +12 volts to terminal on the coil with the ignition resistor bypass in the starter switch.

Ed
Is this discussion about a 12v system? I missed that detail/modification - sorry.

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 127
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 127
It's for 6 volt with a floor starter, sorry I forgot to mention that.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
1954 is 6 volts. Unless modified. No resistor.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
'54 GMC 630 is 12v pos. gnd.

Ed

Last edited by EdPruss; 08/27/2017 3:54 AM.

'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Originally Posted by EdPruss
'54 GMC 630 is 22v pos. gnd.

Ed

Hmmm, a much different world than the topic of this discussion? headscratch

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
Ed, don't you mean 12 volt?
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
In 1955 Blue Chip GMC 630 trucks, the standard electrical system was still 6v positive ground, except for Diesel engines, which were 12v positive ground, with a 6v companion battery. 12v was an option for non-Diesel 630s in 1955.

http://www.1955gmc.com/1955-59gmcliterature/pictures/1955NewModels.pdf

Most likely, all Z-series (54/55 New Design) GMC trucks had 6v postive ground electrical systems? I'll try to remember to look at a Shop Manual.

A different world from the 6v negative ground 1954 chevrolet (same for all size trucks) that started this discussion.


Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Yep, sorry Jerry.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
Originally Posted by nak1954
The 1116469 that I bought does work, but it has 3 positions in it. As stated mine is suppose to be just on and off. I think the correct number for mine should have been the 1116479 and not the 1116469. The 1116469 that I just bought also allows me to take the key out of the ignition no mater which position it's in, even when it's running. That for sure can't be right. Anyway I guess it will work for now until I find the correct unit.
1116464 54-55 Commercial Utility Truck, for FFC (flat face cowl) SBC (School bus chassis)
1116469 51-52 Passenger car
1116479 54-55 1st Commercial Utility Truck
1458180 1935-1957 Cylinder All
Source: 1929 - 1957 Chevrolet Master Parts & Accessories Catalog
Page 1, Group # 2.188
Page 2, Group # 2.188

Which one of these switches looks like the one you bought on eBay?
Click here

1116469 and 1116479 on the outside might look the same but could be different on the inside.
The original 51-52 Passenger car ignition switch I think had 3 positions in it.
That may be the reason why you're getting 3 positions and why the key can be taken out regardless of position..

One thing to keep in mind, through the years these parts numbers have been superseded by new parts numbers.

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
The 47-53 truck switch has a stamped sheet metal mounting bracket. to hold it in place.
The 54,55-1 switch has a stainless bezel nut to hold it into the dash, in pre-notched slots.
Pretty much everything about the 54 dash is different from 47-53.
Thd rummys on ebay are just generalizing, which screws it up for most of us, they really dont know what theyre selling.nTheres 3 or 4 different switches that they just have lumped into
one , and who gets to pay the return postg?
When the listing tells you its "naturally aspirated" ?for an ign switch? I sure as yell aint shopping there

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 127
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 127
So Jorb, the one on the bottom in the link you posted is the one I bought. Both the new one and original one on the truck look identical on the outside but are definitely different on the inside.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
Originally Posted by nak1954
So Jorb, the one on the bottom in the link you posted is the one I bought. Both the new one and original one on the truck look identical on the outside but are definitely different on the inside.
That is what I expected,
What you have is a original 51-52 passenger car 3 position switch Read the 1952 owners manual
It has 3 positions: LOCKED OFF, ON, UNLOCKED OFF 1951 passenger car switch
The face of the lock cylinder has a protruding medal slot so you can turn the cylinder without the key.

What is strange is the 51-52 passenger car 3 position switch and the 54-55 1st series 2 position switch , in a lot of listing, use the same 1116469 part #.
My hunch is the reproduced switch is a 2 position switch and will also work in the 51-52 passenger car.
They just done away with the 3rd LOCKED OFF position, It will work in the 51-52 passenger car just fine.
The repo switch and the original switches all have 3 wire terminals on the back.

You just happen to buy an original 51-52 passenger car 3 position switch, not the repo 2 position switch.

Is there any numbers on the two switches you have?

You can use the 1954 flat face lock cylinder in the original 51-52 passenger car 3 position switch, but you will not be able to use it without the key as it was intended.

If you want an original NOS switch I would go to https://www.partsvoice.com/ and punch in this part # 1116479
Have them take pictures of the inside and outside of the switch before you buy.
Maybe they will swap the switch you bought on eBay, for a correct 54-55 1st, 1116479 switch.


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0