The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (WICruiser, Bill Hanlon), 251 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,143
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1228641 08/05/2017 11:40 PM
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 643
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 643
How do I take the back off of the fuse block. Need to find out why over half of the fuses don't work. I know it is just plastic and I could just break it- but I would rather not.

Thanks


Danny
1958 GMC stepside GMC 302 six cylinder 3 speed OD trans

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
I would think you need to contact the people who made your wiring harness for the correct procedure. The fuse blocks I've seen (aftermarket) use two feed wires. One hot all the time and the other feed through a switch.


Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
Some fuse blocks have unpowered fuses for inline connections. These would have connectors on both ends of the fuse.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
There should not be a need to take it apart. Also, you will void warranty. Just do a continuity test on each wire and learn how it's wired. As Beltfed said, In one section of the block, one side of the fuses are on a always hot, hot bar, and the other side of each fuse goes to components. On another section the hot bar (ganged side) is switched to be hot and the other sides of each fuse goes to component switches. (usual way, but again you need to buzz it out to see how it's wired). Chances are you are not realizing how to wire it. Look at instruction again. Forget how you think it's wired and read more carefully.

The always-hot circuits are usually headlight switch, brake lights, horn..... things that a person wants to be operative without key on.
The switched-to-be-hot circuits are all the other components like heater switch, radio, wiper switch, coil, etc.
Switched-to-be-on means the ignition switch "ON". The ignition switch turns on a bank of fuses ONLY when the ignition switch is "ON"

It would be more helpful if you would state which fuses "don't work".

I read the EZ Wire instruction/diagrams just now on line. The worst diagrams I have ever seen. Many shapes are not identified. There is no cohesive schematic. Piece meal, hard to read, childish presentation. Childish drawings. click

I know, eventually you can figure it out, but being concise, clear, flowing and easy to read is what is called for on a DIY product. Not instructions and drawings that make sense to the moron who is writing/drawing them. The art of conveying information takes a certain expertise, as you can see by my posts. blush

Scroll thru This very slowly to see how a professional does a DIY kit. See any difference? Notice on the third sheet, the always hot bank and the switched hot bank in the fuse panel.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 643
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 643
I will attempt to contact the company. The electric fuel pump had no power ;regardless where the switch was, it was dead. That's when I found out half of the circuits were not working. I will see if I can figure out which are not working although the cover can go on two ways dang Got the pump to work with a jumper wire. Think I will install an oil pressure switch for the electric fuel pump, as a safety factor.


Danny
1958 GMC stepside GMC 302 six cylinder 3 speed OD trans

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
You would not have that trouble with a mechanical fuel pump. wink


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 54
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 54
On my 12 circuit mini the fuse block has three pieces.
1) The cover
2) the fuse block
3) the mounting block.

To remove the mounting block from the fuse block there is a catch on each corner that has to be opened up (or relieved) to let go of the block. I use a flat bladed mini eyeglass screw driver.

Tim


Tim
1950 3600 Some Pictures
1951 3100
1952 3100 Some Pictures
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 643
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 643
Thanks for the replies . Hopefully I can get back to it soon. Had Honey dos to do


Danny
1958 GMC stepside GMC 302 six cylinder 3 speed OD trans

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 323
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 323
Danny did you figure it out? Seeing bartamos reply makes me wonder. Does the difference in instructions reflect on quality of the harness ? Also is the price difference worth it ? Ill be ordering one soon.




These old bolts are in my blood. Hard thing is focusing on just one.

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton panel
1953 GMC 2 ton. future car hauler

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 643
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 643
Yes mystery solved. Emailed EZ Wire and they helped sort it out. The ignition switch needed a jumper from IGN1 to IGN2. They told me what all went where on my ignition switch.Fuel pump works so not installing oil pressure switch. It is a quality harness. Some of the wording was hard to read(combo small wire&weak eyes) but it is a standard gm wiring harness. More circuits than I need.Technical assistance "saved the Day". I would use the harness; as it being labeled every few inches really helped me.


Danny
1958 GMC stepside GMC 302 six cylinder 3 speed OD trans


Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0