The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (37 GC, Otto Skorzeny, KEVINSKI, klhansen, Vice-Grip, Bill Hanlon, UtahYork, HandyAndy), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,114
Posts1,056,610
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1226250 07/19/2017 3:22 PM
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 13
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 13
I need to remove my bell housing and flywheel from my 1951 216 that I am having rebuilt. Could anyone please give me a few pointers on this process. It would appear to me that I need to remove the flywheel first. I apologize if my terminology is incorrect as I'm a novice mechanic at best. Thank you guys...


1951 Chevy Pick-Up
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
That's right. You remove the clutch & flywheel & then you can get to the remaining bolts for the bell housing.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
Keep the bandages handy, maybe a cold compress for blunt force trauma, and have your helper dial 9 and 1 and be ready to dial the other 1.
The flywheel is heavier than it looks and it doesn't have any handles. I mash something on me every time I take one out.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Put a couple layers of plywood or other wood under the flywheel, in case you drop it.

Remove the pressure plate (and clutch) from the flywheel before you attempt to remove the flywheel.

Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 13
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 13
LMAO... Thanks guys, I figured as much. It also seems to be a common mention Flywheel and bandages??? Thanks for the post... I will keep the first aid kit near by.


1951 Chevy Pick-Up
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
Not to jump the thread but can someone share how I should proceed with Bell housing removal on a rusted tight 216?



Jerry
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Lots of PB Blaster several times a day for several days. Then apply a little heat to the bolts and hope they come loose. It sometimes helps to use an air impact wrench, the hammer action can break it loose. Just turn down the air so you don't snap the bolt/nut off.🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
You have to make the crankshaft assembly turn enough to remove the pressure plate bolts. If it is badly locked up, you may need to pull the crank and rod caps and remove the crank/flywheel/pressure plate all together.


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,519
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,519
The engine is scrap, right?. If all you want to keep is the bell housing,
go in there with the fire wrench and cut the clutch fingers, and inner clutch disc away, then cut the flywheel to crank bolt heads off, drop all that crap out the way,
and the bellhousing is yours.
Thats the "madman" approach. 20-30 minutes.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
If you are new to this, let me mention that the flywheel bolts have very shallow heads. You need to use a really good six sided socket. If the socket slips off it can be really tough on the knuckles. The bolts are on there with about 65 ft lbs.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
If the engine is junk, you can drop the pan & cut the crankshaft in front of the rear main.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Back when I was parting trucks I made a tool for holding the flywheel (works coming off or on by locking against the starter bolt). Frees up your hands for other chores as described. A few minutes in the shop paid off for me for this job, a stuck engine will of course not need this approach.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/11594053183/in/album-72157631868452754/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/11593841395/in/album-72157631868452754/
I had an old ring gear but you can just notch flat stock to similar effect, good luck!


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0