The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Ponchogl, Otto Skorzeny, Hanks custodian), 104 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,403
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1225677 07/15/2017 8:54 PM
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 36
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 36
1961 Apache 10 w/235 sputtered to a stop today. Half a tank of gas and no fuel to carb. Pulled inline filter off and cranked engine. No fuel. Pulled input line from fuel pump and no fuel came out. I remember when I changed out the pump last year, fuel poured out the input line. This leads me to think I've got an obstruction somewhere. Correct thinking? If so, I plan on disconnecting the fuel line at tank and pump and see if I can get air through it. If I can what's my next step? Pull fuel tank?

Thanks

Last edited by KansasMike; 07/15/2017 8:56 PM.
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Take the fuel line off the inlet side of the pump and blow back toward the tank with your air compressor. Sounds like a blockage either in the line itself or the fitting on the tank.🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
Does your tank pull fuel from the top of the tank? If so, check to make sure that you have a tight connection at the fuel line at the sending unit. You may be sucking air there. There should be a sock on the end of the fuel pickup pipe inside the tank, preventing a blockage there.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Back in the day the quick fix was to blow the sock off and put a filter inline before the fuel pump. Another possibility is rusted insides to the fuel line. Took a drill motor and a piece of baling wire to the tank to pump line on a '53 one time. Cleaned it right out and never clogged again.🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

52Carl #1225714 07/16/2017 1:32 AM
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 36
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 36
The fuel line does enter at the top of the tank.

52Carl #1225781 07/16/2017 4:43 PM
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 36
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 36
Disconnected fuel line at pump and top of tank and blew out with compressor. Pulled pick up tubing with float attached from tank. Blew it out with compressor also. Have everything buttoned back up now. Where do I go from here? Can fuel pumps lose their prime? How does fuel get to the fuel pump with the fuel line exiting at the top of the tank? Siphoning action?

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
I would not be uncommon for your "new" fuel pump to go bad. Parts just aren't what they use to be.🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 36
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 36
Primed carb with a syringe 6 times. Fire...die...fire....die. 6th time she took off and is running great. Confused as to what caused fuel line to run dry. Truck was parked on a pretty good decline before she sputtered to a stop right after I moved her


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0