The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bill Marlow, TUTS 59, Wally / Montana, Shade Baby, 1 invisible), 80 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,385
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1225383 07/13/2017 11:51 PM
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 45
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 45
Hey guys. I have just recently purchased a 55 series 2 chevy pickup. It's a 3 speed on the column six cylinder. Changing all the fluids. I cannot find a drain for the manual transmission.
Also, I see on the tail of the trans 2 bolt holes for a support but there is none. There doesn't appear to be any holes in the frame for one. Is this correct?
Thanks in advance.


Jim

1955 Chevy series 2
6 cylinder, 3 on the tree
Short bed, step side
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
welcome to the garage .... if the trans doesn't have a plug on the bottom, you'd need to have a quick lube joint use their sucker to clean it out to refill .... the support bracket on the tail is not necessary for your truck, may indicate it's actually from a car - no matter ..... and it could be the later [67+] Saginaw 3 spd, indicated by the number of bolts on the side cover, originally yours would have 4 bolts I believe, later ones have 7

Bill



Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Or get a piece of plastic tube and siphon it out yourself.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 45
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 45
Well that sucks....

Thanks guys for the info and suggestions. I'll get the tranny cleaned up so I can get some numbers off it and do some research to find out what it is.
Thanks again


Jim

1955 Chevy series 2
6 cylinder, 3 on the tree
Short bed, step side
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
I have found the 4 bolt side cover transmissions without a drain plug with 61 up date codes. Since it has the rear mount it is at least from a 58. There was a time when manufacturers determined that changing these fluids wasn't necessary. Those of us that believe in maintenance think this was a wrongheaded approach. I suppose they had no idea these vehicles would last this long.
You should be able to drain some of the oil by removing the lower bolt that holds the tail housing to the case.
Just put some sealant on it when it is reinstalled. A lot of mixing and matching went on with these trucks over the years.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 45
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 45
I wondered about that Fred. It's at the lowest point of the case. I haven't had a chance to get to the numbers yet. It does have a 7 bolt side cover.
I have an old gasoline siphon bulb. I'll see what the bottom oil looks like. If it's cruddy I'll take out that bottom bolt.
This tranny might be cooked but I won't know until I can drive it again. I've got a 3 speed floor shifted Saginaw out of a 69 chevelle. Any chance that would mate up to the 235?
Thanx
Jim


Jim

1955 Chevy series 2
6 cylinder, 3 on the tree
Short bed, step side
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
As you indicated that the truck has the 7 bolt side cover trans it should be very similar to the Chevelle trans as it would be from that era.
The mounting and input shaft is the same from 48 up on trucks and 55 up on cars. The differences could be the shift arms and possibly the front driveshaft yoke.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0