The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (tclederman, 68ironhead, 3B, GMCJammer51, Otto Skorzeny, Pre '68 Dave, Jon G, 1 invisible), 124 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,245
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1218697 05/25/2017 6:45 PM
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 1
M
Moderated
Moderated
M Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 1
Just bought a set of tail lights/ break lights for a 62 Chevy PU I am working on and the new lights came with a bulb number 299. I would like to know what bulb I could as a replacement that would also have turn signals or would I need to buy a different tail light ?

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
They should already be able to be used as turn signals, as most tail light/brake light assemblies are already dual filament bulbs.
I can't seem to find any information on an automotive application bulb with a "299" number, but most older dual element tail lamps bulbs use an 1157 bulb.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 131
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 131
Hi Moots
Back in the day the 62 would have come with 1034. The 1157 is a upgrade about 40 years ago with more candlepower. The 1157 was and is the best to use, try to find one with a brass base as that will not rust in like the tin base bulbs.

Of course today a LED unit is the one for best results.
On the front the park/signal lens was clear , in 63 they went Amber.
Howie , also with a 62.


1 1955 Chev one ton. 261 engine

3 1962 Chev c-10 261 engine
4 1966 Plymouth VIP 5.7 GenIII Hemi
5 1966 Imperial Crown Coupe 440 engine
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
The 299 bulb has the same base as an 1157. It is a suitable bulb for your truck and has two filaments. It is the European/Asian (Eurasian) spec for US 1157. So to replace: use 1157 or another TwoNinerNiner. There are several other bulb numbers that you can use but no need to go there.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
Does the LED type work with 6v?


Can’t begin to tell you how much I hate the name Stovebolt.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
There are 6v LED bulbs available to match most old 6v bulbs, except head lights.

Which original 6v bulb would you like an LED replacement bulb?

Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
I guess the brake lights.


Can’t begin to tell you how much I hate the name Stovebolt.
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,363
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,363
Don, I too need to look at LED's for my tail light as well. Lit'l bro was following me recently while I drove east late in the afternoon with the sun shining directly on the tail lights and said the 6v brake lights were not that bright.

Last edited by moparguy; 07/08/2017 3:27 AM.

RonR


1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1964 CJ5
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0