The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Otto Skorzeny, 2-Ton, TexasJim50, MickeyP, MRMEROTH11), 117 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,383
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 393
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 393
I have come across an SM420 transmission with the driveshaft braking system attached. I realize that these systems were used in the bigger bolts. Is the parking/e brake system able to be removed? Would I be able to use this transmission in a 1/2 ton (if the brake is able to be removed?


It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Yes, the parking brake parts can be removed.

Yes, but you might need a different rear cover on the transmission in order to connect to an enclosed driveshaft, depending on the year of the SM420 and year of the 1/2 ton truck.

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 393
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 393
Thanks, Tim. From what I can gather, it's a 1948-1957 SM 420.(Casting number 591953 Code above casting number is D 215) I have a torque tube rear end which I plan to transplant into my '47 with the SM 420 if I can figure out what I need for the rear side of the transmission. (I can't find any numbers on the rear end but it's 6 lug and has Bendix brakes..)


It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 124
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 124
If you can get the floor section from the bigger truck it will probably fit right in your half ton. I swapped it all out in my '59 and use the brake just like it was in the bigger truck. It probably isn't the best parking brake though.


Gene
1959 Apache
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Gene,

If I understand Rusty correctly he need to remove the transmission parking brake on the SM-420 so he can convert it to a torque tube type rear...you can't have both!

The transmission brake is a great brake for your pickup, if it will hold a 20,000 pound big truck it should have no problem holding a 3,500 pound pickup!

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 124
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 124
Originally Posted by Mike B
Gene,

If I understand Rusty correctly he need to remove the transmission parking brake on the SM-420 so he can convert it to a torque tube type rear...you can't have both!

The transmission brake is a great brake for your pickup, if it will hold a 20,000 pound big truck it should have no problem holding a 3,500 pound pickup!

Mike B smile

I see what you mean. I didn't think about the closed in drive line. I was just thinking about the extra hole in the floor for the parking brake. I should have just kept quiet as I know nothing about torque tube set-ups. Never mind.


Gene
1959 Apache

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0