The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (NJC, Gdads51, ronsway, Hush, 1 invisible), 143 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,179
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1223423 07/01/2017 4:53 PM
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 496
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 496
I'm getting ready to order the brake lines for my 1950 suburban 1/2 ton. They have two versions available for that year. One with 3/16" Rear axle lines and one with 1/4" Rear axle lines. How do I tell which ones are correct for my old Burb?


1950 SUBURBAN / SCHOOL BUS A.K.A "THE SCHOOL RUST"
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
start with determining the size of your brake cylinder fittings, including the master

Bill





Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 496
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 496
Forgive me but I am very green at this stuff......

I do not have a Master Cylinder or brake cylinders yet (ordering at the same time from classic chevy parts).


1950 SUBURBAN / SCHOOL BUS A.K.A "THE SCHOOL RUST"
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 496
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 496
When its talking about 3/16th" or 1/4" is that referring to the screw in part. Could I just measure where the hose connects and get the information I need?


1950 SUBURBAN / SCHOOL BUS A.K.A "THE SCHOOL RUST"
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
That is the line diameter.

Lines/tubing diameters and the matching wheel cylinders might have been changed/replaced over the years.

There is some line/tubing diameter info in the Shop Manual.

Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 496
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 496
Hmmm......

Maybe I should build the brakes, hubs, etc. BEFORE I worry about the lines.


1950 SUBURBAN / SCHOOL BUS A.K.A "THE SCHOOL RUST"
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 206
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 206
3/16 is usually for Disc brake and 1/4 usually for drum. The 3/16 line should use a 3/8-24 threaded tube nut and the 1/4" a 7/16-20 threaded tube nut


Dave Chapman
The Hollister Road Company
713-937-0387
[email protected]
www.hollisterroad.com
www.thoroco.com
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 496
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 496
Thank you....that's what I needed to know.


1950 SUBURBAN / SCHOOL BUS A.K.A "THE SCHOOL RUST"
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 496
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 496
1/4" it is! I'm going drum.


1950 SUBURBAN / SCHOOL BUS A.K.A "THE SCHOOL RUST"

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0