Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (mick53, klhansen),
118
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,277 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2017 Posts: 12 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2017 Posts: 12 | Hello Gents,
Just working on tracing the electrical from end to end. The truck seems to have been somewhat misunderstood. It's a 6 volt system, I believe. The original generator's still in her. The previous owner did all the electrical work, I think, but didn't switch it over to 12. I got my park lights and headlights working. Switched to the right bulb and they're good.
But I'm having trouble with the signal lights. Under the dash, there's a 12 volt flasher solenoid, and I'm wondering if it would work with a 6 volt system or not. I'm unable to find a problem with the system, thus far, except that darn flasher unit. I don't know if it's enough to stop the signal lights or not. Any expertise/advice would be welcome.
Bill | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,805 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,805 | A 12V flasher will not work on 6 volts- - - -not enough current flow through the bimetal strip to heat it up and make it disconnect. The signal lights are probably coming on steady front and rear and not flashing, right? You'll need to find a 6V flasher to make the system work properly.
Note: most 6V flashers have a "P" terminal (pilot) which was intended to illuminate a single light on the dash that reminds the driver the flasher is operating. If you have an older pickup, it probably does not have arrows built into the dash cluster to show right and left turns. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2017 Posts: 12 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2017 Posts: 12 | Thank you, Jerry.
I'm not getting anything at all, at the moment. I get my park lights, but no signal. I guess what you're suggesting is that it's a deeper problem, first.
Bill | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,805 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,805 | Is your turn signal switch built into the steering column, or is it an add-on that clamps to the column? "Signal-Stat" made two add on units, one with 5 wires and another with 7. The 5-wire unit was designed to be used with separate light assemblies front and rear for turn signals. The 7-wire ones have a discriminator circuit that allow the same rear bulbs to be used as brake lights and turn signals. Later model trucks that came factory-equipped with turn signals also used 2-filament bulbs front and rear to combine park, brake, and turn lights in one bulb housing, both front and rear. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Most likely, this is a 1953 3100 truck with an original 6v electrical system, and an add-on turn signal switch/system.
The original 6v front parking/driving lamp bulbs would have been single filament, but these can be easily converted to dual-filament bulbs - for parking/driving and turn-signals.
The original single rear-lamp housing would have had a dual-filament bulb (for brake light and marker/tail light); and, a matching rear-lamp housing/unit/bracket for the other side is readily available.
Also, as extraneous information, 6v dual-filament LED bulbs (for pos and neg ground) are now readily available. If all bulbs are LED, an LED flasher-unit would most likely be needed. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2017 Posts: 12 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2017 Posts: 12 | Hi all.
Yes. It's an add on system, clamped to the steering column. It's a Signal-Stat 900. I looked up the details on the signal flasher, and it's for a 12v system, too. I don't know how that might affect this whole problem.
My truck didn't have signal lights originally. Now, at least all the original lights are working. I have headlights (high and low beam), taillights, and brake lights. The new bulbs I've put in are 6 volt and have two filaments, so I think I'm okay there.
Thank you for all your help.
Bill | | | | | Joined: Apr 2015 Posts: 58 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2015 Posts: 58 | Bill, If there are only two wires going to your flasher then pull the flasher out and put a jumper on the two wires where the flasher was. This will tell you if the flasher is the problem or not if everything else is ok then when you move the arm on your turn signal switch then the front and back light for the direction you are turning will come on and stay on. They obviously won't flash because you don't have a flasher. Then try the other side and the same thing should happen. If this test works then you need a new 6V flasher. My flasher has 3 tabs but there are only two wires that physically connect to the flasher. If yours has 3 wires at the flasher then don't try this test because I don't remember what the third wire is for on a 3 wire flasher. Good luck, Les | | | | | Joined: Jan 2016 Posts: 264 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2016 Posts: 264 | The third wire just goes to a indicator light that flashes with the signals. I had to take my switch apart and clean up all contacts and moving parts, resolder new wires in, and now it works like brand new. Also had to clean the sockets the bulbs seat into on almost all the lights. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2017 Posts: 12 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2017 Posts: 12 | Thank you for the suggestions. I'll give them a try and see what happens.
Bill | | |
| |