| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
117
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,141 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2016 Posts: 709 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2016 Posts: 709 | So I ordered the only rear-fender braces that my local truck shop offered. I've been reading up on mounting my fenders and I saw a few references to different length braces for 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks? Can anyone confirm this?
Also, I saw a post that stated that a 3/4 or 3600 brace should mount to the top of the frame? Does this sound accurate? I just built a custom bed and may have used that hole, or at the very least will have to remove the whole thing to mount this brace on the frame!
Thanks! | | | | | Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,067 Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums | | Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,067 | I don't see how there would need to be different length braces between 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks, as they share the same width bed, fenders and frame.
I'm assuming you're talking about the rod style brace, and not the crown brace (stamped sheet metal) for the rear fenders. If you'd like I could measure the length of one of my originals that I'm pretty certain were attached at the bottom of the frame.
It may take a different length however if one mounted to the top of the frame and the other to the bottom.
It wouldn't take much work to build a custom length rod type brace. A piece of round steel stock hammered flat and drilled on each end if it comes to that.
Last edited by klhansen; 06/19/2017 9:38 PM.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truckFollow this saga in Project JournalPhotos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2012 Posts: 222 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2012 Posts: 222 | The 3/4 ton does use a longer brace due to the frame being narrower. Dave | | | | | Joined: Jan 2016 Posts: 709 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2016 Posts: 709 | Thanks Gents, I looked it up in the Assembly Manual and there are separate part numbers for the 3600 and 3100 braces. Looks like I'll be looking for a new set. Although my fenders are pretty roached and the brace mounting hole doesn't even exist anymore. Maybe I can get by without it for a while.
Also, the manual does show it mounting on top of the frame for the 3600. Too bad, because I'm mounting this fender on a custom wood bed and the brace was the only way I knew to line it up properly. I guess I'll be eye-balling it! | | | | | Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,067 Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums | | Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,067 | The 3/4 ton does use a longer brace due to the frame being narrower. Dave You are correct. I should check before typing incorrect info. I just looked at the FAM and there's quite a bit of difference in width. Goach2, I wouldn't run very long without a brace on the rear of the fenders. Unsupported they'll just flap in the breeze and probably crack from the flexing. A piece of perforated flat stock you can get at the hardware store steel rack would be better than nothing.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truckFollow this saga in Project JournalPhotos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2016 Posts: 709 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2016 Posts: 709 | Would anyone have the dimensions of this part? I'm looking to mount my fenders soon on my Huckster-style bed and I have no clue how to align them! | | |
| |
| |