The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (Rusty Heaps, 1955 1 Series, 55shaker, 3800GUY, RaNfLaS, tclederman, Otto Skorzeny, wilbur53, FAST55), 157 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,104
Posts1,056,201
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1219094 05/29/2017 3:21 AM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 160
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 160
I have a single 6v Auto Lite horn in my 12v-converted truck.

Last winter the darn thing (under a shelter) went off at 3 am.
Over the yelling neighbour I ran outside and managed to put it out of its misery by disconnecting its battery lead at an inside fender connection.

Now it is Springtime and the horn wouldn't honk.

After doing some rudimentary TS it was unbolted from the truck ('55 1st) and the back bell cover removed to expose its components --pretty clean actually except for the old wirewound resistor (to ground), which is hooped -- its coil is severed near its end (and the core is crumbling).

My question is, anyone here know what value resistor I should be looking for as a modern replacement?
Thanks.


Last edited by 55firstseries; 05/29/2017 3:24 AM.
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 916
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 916
May I add a related question? Is there anything that you need to do to the stock 6volt horn when converting to 12 volts, or will it accept 12 volts without any problems?


~ Dave
1950 Chevrolet 3600 3/4-ton with 261 engine & T5 Transmission
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
It will honk with 12v.
It will be a higher pitch (the "vibrator" vibrates at twice the speed).

If you make a long sustained honk, I think you risk overheating something and perhaps melting the parts that vibrate to make the honking sound.

I do not know the technical details, but I have done it.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 160
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 160
I think you are on the right track. Mine was operating on 12 volts. It worked well until it managed to operate on its own and blared until it was shut down ..about 5 minutes!
When I opened the unit the wire joints were all desoldered (probably due to excessive heat). But the relay coil and contacts still seem ok. And I think the heat affected the old wire-wound resistor.

I would like to replace it with an equivalent ..if I know its values (ohms and watts).

Any spec info on this is appreciated.

Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 916
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 916
Thanks Tim. I'll probably install a voltage reducer- I don't want to chance ruining this old horn.



~ Dave
1950 Chevrolet 3600 3/4-ton with 261 engine & T5 Transmission
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 631
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 631
No need for voltage reducer, plus many voltage reducers are for low amps. Horns are kinda high amp draw.

All horns, old or new are intermittent duty,........so they will turn to toast with longer than short "honks". Modern horns have less than 1 minute duty cycle.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
Your not going to get by with a voltage reducer as stated above. If you really love this horn then....there are people out there who will convert it to 12 volts but will look the same. I have dual trumpets on one of my rides and if I converted it to 12 volts I would just hide a 12 volts horn, up in the fender well, who's sound I could live with.


Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0