The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Otto Skorzeny, 78buckshot, 53 green 1- ton, DadsFirstPickup, greenie-reddy, Jon G), 83 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,713
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 183
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 183
I installed one of those dual diaphragm fuel pumps in hopes of making my vacuum wipers work better on my 1952 1/2 ton with a 216 engine. There is now a knocking sound coming from the fuel pump. You can also feel the knock when you touch the vacuum lines. The knock goes away when you turn the wipers on. I figured I didn't have the bolts that attach the pump to the engine tight enough so I took it to my local mechanic to have them tightened by a professional. He put some thread lock on the bolts and tightened them as much as he dared. But it still knocks. And, sadly, my wipers don't work any better than they did before. I read several posts on hooking these things up, and I'm pretty sure I have the lines connected correctly. Do you think I have a bad pump? Any suggestions would be appreciated.


My dad always told me, "Don't force it, get a bigger hammer".
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
Did you make sure the pump arm is located on the camshaft eccentric lobe properly? The flat on the pump arm must lay against the cam eccentric lobe. Could be internal to the pump. I would check to make sure I have the arm seated properly first. If that doesn't fix the knocking then I would return the pump for another one. The diagram for the proper line hookup is the shown in the Assembly Manual.

Tim


"Pay attention to the details! It ALWAYS pays off."

1949 Chevrolet 3100 Series 1/2 ton Pickup
1964 Chevrolet C10 (Ol' Yella) (SOLD)
1958 Chevrolet Biscayne 2 door (SOLD)
1970 VW Beetle
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I put an AirTex or whatever the name is, double unit on my truck several years ago. It leaked gas around the housing rim no matter what I did. I got a replacement and it leaked gas and oil. Both were junk.

The vacuum unit only enhances the vacuum when the engine vacuum is really low, like at a wide throttle setting. The rest of the time the engine is drawing more vacuum through the pump. Also the pump is only useful at higher RPMs. If I remember correctly the pump by itself draws about 11 inches.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,838
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,838
Double action pumps have been a chronic problem for quite some time. The older ones have been sitting around in warehouses for years which makes the rubber parts deteriorate, and it seems that the more recent "rebuilt" units have a huge failure rate right out of the box. Keep trying until you find a good one.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0