The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Uncles51, fonz8261, oldsteve, Ponchogl), 214 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,170
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1218077 05/21/2017 12:30 PM
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 16
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 16
Almost done with the frame, which by the way looks like it just rolled off the assembly line, and next will be rebuilding the engine. The cab has rust through on the gutters, rusted out front door jams, some floor rust and steps that will have to be replaced. My question is do I try replacing the rusted out areas, I have a mig and tig welder but most of my welding is stainless steel, or look for a better cab? I have the time as this is a year or two long project.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
What year and make/series truck?

I do not weld, but a good friend trades welding time with me. We both now agree that it is worth finding/shipping non-rusted parts long distances, rather than doing extensive sheet-metal replacement welding. Southwest (low desert) and northwest (high desert) and Dakotas areas have non-salted roads or/and are arid.

Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 16
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 16
Hey Tim, By the way my name is Tim too, you can probably guess my last name from the name here, anyway my truck is a 1955 gmc 2nd with the big back window.

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
By all means, find a better cab.
For every place that's rusted through, there are 2 more that are paper thin and weak.
Use of repro patch panels is a distant 2nd choice.
Save your VIN plate to match the title, you have a couple years of cabs that will fit.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Tim the Toolman Allen or Taylor?

Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 16
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 16
It's Taylor, I've seen new cabs but they go for 8000.00 which is more than I paid for the truck. As far as the VIN plate I have my old one and a new blank one which I will have an engraver stamp on the matching numbers. My problem seems to be the rarity of the big back window. My other choice is to find a chevy big back window and change out the dash but after looking at that online it seemed like GM built the truck around the dash.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
You should be able to find a good cab out west without any rust though for a third of a new cab. (I did not realize anyone was reproducing 55 second series cabs.)


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
Windows are available @ LMC, classic ind., Dan's classics in Portland ore.
Figure $250+ delivered.


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 4
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 4
I feel your pain. I have a 57 small window with a severely damaged and rusted cab ( mostly fixed now). I found lots of used cabs in great condition. The problem was they were all on good trucks! So, since I was not willing to replace the whole truck with a better one ( it was my grandfathers farm truck) I started to repair the cab in my spare time.That was about 7 years ago.
If I bought a new cab I'd be done and driving it by now, however, would it be the same truck? I'm not sure at what point a restoration becomes a replacement. I've had many discussions with friends on this subject over many beers. Some think the soul of the vehicle will be transferred to the new cab with the VIN plate -I'm not so certain. Anyway, I couldn't afford a new cab at the time, so here I am.
Hope that was ambiguous enough for you!


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0