The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (walter74, Peggy M, Shaffer's1950, Gray_Ghost, 2 invisible), 59 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,700
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 52
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 52
Just what it says, lost a stinking lifter. I looked on KANTER and they say I need to have 10-5/8" or 13-1/4" push rods to get the right lifter... Well mine are 12-7/8"!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT?! Someone give me some direction here. The lifter was lost over a decade ago, I want this motor running and not going to let 1 stupid lifter kill this project. I'll never find the lifter, and Kanter said sometimes there are odd ball engines for any given year, so "tough luck buddy". HELP.


Whether you think you can or can't, you're right.

Also--in 2004, I invented the spotting alert network in stovebolt after seeing so many trucks when driving around. So that means I am cool.
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
So, do you have any idea of dimensions of your needed lifter? I have a parts engine?

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
GMC usd a long push rod until the mid 50's and went to a shorter push rod. The older lifter has the push rod going down in it and the newer style has a cup on top for the push rod and we call them the milk can lifter. Post a picture of another lifter. Both styles appear on eBay quite often. Used push rods are quite plentiful. Kanter is like most vendors. The guys that started the business knew their business. The people they hire now just don't care.

Rock auto probably still has what you are looking for. They still carry the milk jug lifters. Used lifters need to be resurfaced to make sure they have a crown or they won't spin. An old Sioux valve machine will do that, but few people know how to operate them.

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
I haven't found any reference to a radiused base on stovebolt or GMC tappets, anyone know of a source?
Based on the factory diagrams, the tappet will spin by virtue of the cam lobe being strongly offset to the tappet centerline.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,838
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,838
All flat-tappet valve lifters have a slight convex radius, regardless of the vehicle manufacturer. Flat or concave bottom lifters are worn out.

My Black & Decker valve grinder has a fixture for reshaping the radius on rocker arm tips, but I don't recall seeing a similar fixture for regrinding lifters. I use a tool post grinder on a lathe to do that.
Jerry



"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 52
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 52
These are just the plain lifter, not the milk jug. It's just a smooth barrel, with a flat top....I don't have any functional technology here to put a pic of it on for viewing. I need to measure it and put it on here that way and see if the other fellow has a spare in his parts motor.


Whether you think you can or can't, you're right.

Also--in 2004, I invented the spotting alert network in stovebolt after seeing so many trucks when driving around. So that means I am cool.
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 52
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 52
And I can't tell any convex-ity of my lifters, I put a straight edge on it (them) and they look straight and flat. If they are really supposed to be convex and are now worn, does that mean the cam is worn too? In which case I say, nothing to lose, run it?


Whether you think you can or can't, you're right.

Also--in 2004, I invented the spotting alert network in stovebolt after seeing so many trucks when driving around. So that means I am cool.
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,296
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,296
If nothing is chewed up, run it.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,838
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,838
Flat is OK, as long as you don't intend to run it wide open with a heavy load for hours at a time. Yes, there will be a little cam wear, but that's why you always keep lifters sorted out by cylinder number and position and run them against the cam lobe they were on to begin with. Swapping used lifters around onto cam lobes they haven't been running with guarantees a very short lobe and lifter life.

Cupped lifters are a sign of a totally worn out cam and lifters. Time to scrap the whole assembly in that case and start over.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0