The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (pdlightning, ndkid275), 136 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,139
Members48,435
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
Has anyone used a GM V-8 large cap distributor (with the coil in the cap) with an R-10 overdrive?
The normal application uses a wire from the KD switch to the neg side of the coil to interrupt the coil momentarily during the kick-down operation. How would one wire up the system using an HEI?
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I have never tried it with o-drive but I have used a lot of test instruments that short out cylinders using the tach. connection. It has never damaged anything.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
Thanks George,
After I posted this I took a good look at a spare HEI that I had.
The tach connector is also the coil minus terminal.
I installed an OD in a truck a few years ago that had a Pertronics conversion in it which seems to be wired in a similar fashion. It had a red wire from the module to the + terminal on the coil and the black wire to the - terminal. The KD operation worked fine on that application so it appears it should work on the HEI as well.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
Use the "tach" connection in the cap as a grounding point, the one right beside the big power wire plug. It will momentarily kill the ignition to unload the gears so the OD can disengage, same as with a point-type distributor.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 506
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 506
Where were you guys 3 years ago when installed the overdrive in my Burb? Maybe I posted the question in the wrong forum. I couldn't get an answer or figure it out. Right now that wire is taped off inside the engine bay. As soon as I get back to my truck I'll follow Jerry's suggestion.

The problem I had was I couldn't find a way to mount the kickdown switch to the carb. The switch came with a bracket attached but no matter how many times I turned it over/around I couldn't get anything to line up on the carb. Now I have it mounted in the dash in one of the holes from the radio I removed. I hit it by hand and then let off the gas for a second to unload the gears. As long as you get back in the gas within a second or so it will engage in direct drive. If you hesitate too long it drops back into overdrive.

Anyway, thanks for clearing this up!!


Thanks

Larry
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
Larry,
Presuming you have a V-8, there are so many carb options that it's unlikely to find a ready made KD bracket for your application.
I use a couple of small "L" brackets bolted together and mounted on the left front carb base bolt. Set it up so that the carb will engage the KD switch at WOT. It may take some trial and error to get it right. You may be able to modify the one you have.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0