| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,086 Posts1,056,331 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2015 Posts: 33 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2015 Posts: 33 | Hi, don't know if any of you have a solution but my rectangular door mirror really shake a lot, enough that they are kind of useless, especially at higher speeds. Has anyone come up with an improvement? Would a smaller mirror work better? I've checked and they are mounted tight to the door and the mirrors tight to the arms. Thanks Kevin
Thanks, keep truckin!
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2015 Posts: 336 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2015 Posts: 336 | The original mirror for your truck was a round mirror, the rectangular were on larger trucks. I'd try the round ones and see if that makes a difference. If not, you might have something loose under the cab sending a vibration up and the mirrors are vibrating in sympathy.
1959 3100 Apache Fleetside
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,286 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,286 | Might just be tired, hard cab mount rubber.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 | You might have a vibration somewhere you're not aware of. My mirror use to vibrate but the truck felt fine. I replaced my U-joints one day and for the heck of it had the drive shaft balanced. My mirror stopped vibrating after that.
Also, one day I started up my freshly rebuilt 270, the mechanic and I checked everything over and I was about to back out of his shop and take it on its maiden voyage. As I looked in the rear view mirror I noticed a barely perceptible intermittent blur. It couldn't be heard or felt, but you could see it in the mirror. Long story short; the engine was bad and I have a new mechanic.
The point is; the slightest vibration in the engine, drive shaft, wheels/tires, etc. is exaggerated in a mirror because you're not looking at the mirror you're looking at a point sometimes half a mile away. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2015 Posts: 33 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2015 Posts: 33 | Thanks guys, I think I will go to the smaller mirrors as an option, I have not done any improvements underneath so that seems to have an effect. Thanks
Thanks, keep truckin!
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,825 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,825 | Wheel balance and/or bad shock absorbers will also set up a harmonic vibration in a set of mirrors. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 | I use the round peep style on my 54/3100.
Ron, The Computer Greek I love therefore I am.1954 3100 Chevy truckIn the Gallery 2017 Buick Encore See more pix1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
| | |
| |
| |