The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Oswald, 2-Ton, 1955 1 Series, Peggy M, Hotrod Lincoln), 75 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,352
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 33
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 33
Hi, don't know if any of you have a solution but my rectangular door mirror really shake a lot, enough that they are kind of useless, especially at higher speeds. Has anyone come up with an improvement? Would a smaller mirror work better? I've checked and they are mounted tight to the door and the mirrors tight to the arms. Thanks Kevin


Thanks, keep truckin!
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 336
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 336
The original mirror for your truck was a round mirror, the rectangular were on larger trucks. I'd try the round ones and see if that makes a difference. If not, you might have something loose under the cab sending a vibration up and the mirrors are vibrating in sympathy.


1959 3100 Apache Fleetside
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
Might just be tired, hard cab mount rubber.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 639
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 639
You might have a vibration somewhere you're not aware of. My mirror use to vibrate but the truck felt fine. I replaced my U-joints one day and for the heck of it had the drive shaft balanced. My mirror stopped vibrating after that.

Also, one day I started up my freshly rebuilt 270, the mechanic and I checked everything over and I was about to back out of his shop and take it on its maiden voyage. As I looked in the rear view mirror I noticed a barely perceptible intermittent blur. It couldn't be heard or felt, but you could see it in the mirror. Long story short; the engine was bad and I have a new mechanic.

The point is; the slightest vibration in the engine, drive shaft, wheels/tires, etc. is exaggerated in a mirror because you're not looking at the mirror you're looking at a point sometimes half a mile away.

Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 33
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 33
Thanks guys, I think I will go to the smaller mirrors as an option, I have not done any improvements underneath so that seems to have an effect. Thanks


Thanks, keep truckin!
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
Wheel balance and/or bad shock absorbers will also set up a harmonic vibration in a set of mirrors.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
I use the round peep style on my 54/3100.


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0