The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Deegs53, Gray_Ghost, Steelonsteel), 97 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,700
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 93
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 93
I have read some threads here, and elsewhere on the world wide web, and talked to some local good ol boy mechanics. There seem to be all sorts of fuel tank cleaning options including screws and a cement mixer.

I think I want to start with white vinegar. This is goign to be for one of the large saddle tanks on the side of my flatbed, the one that was used when the truck was alive 20 years ago. My endoscope clouded up, so I can't see if there is rust in there or not, but assuming there is.

I doubt that I am goign to get enough vinegar to fill the tank, and I am trying to avoid removing the tank initially. I have read elsewhere about flushing with water, filling with vinegar soaking for a few days, then flushing again. There was something about a flash rust after, I need to read more, but wanted to check and see if there was any other vinegar specific advice here that I may have missed.

Thanks (odds are I may replace the tank with aluminum, I am just trying to get it running enough to check out all the other systems before figuring out what needs to be replaced or repaired or rebuilt)


1959 Chevy Viking. Belonged to my Great Grandfather
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
One good old boy technique would be clean gravel and vinegar. Slosh it all around and let sit on each of three sides (not the outlet side). Then, empty, rinse with water (tank and gravel) and then repeat the "cycle".

When finished with the cleaning cycles, you might want to use a sealer. Wait to hear from others on this. I think some people have reported having sealers peel off.

Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 93
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 93
I really think I want to replace both saddle tanks with shiny new(used) aluminum semi fuel tanks. I have been hearing a lot of "what?! those tanks are fine, nothing wrong with them" but this is the same crowd that thought the engine would run, and we should break it free by dragging it around the yard with a loader. They also wanted to push me off the hill with no brakes to start the truck.


1959 Chevy Viking. Belonged to my Great Grandfather
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,838
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,838
You've got tractors, right? Pull the tank, attach it to a tractor wheel with ratchet straps, and add a few gallons of water and a small bottle of dishwashing liquid. Toss in a few shovels full of gravel. Jack up the wheel, and put a jack stand or a stack of timbers under the axle housing. Crank up the tractor at idle, put it in gear, and walk away. Come back a few hours later to the cleanest fuel tank you've ever seen. The fun part is getting the gravel back out of it.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 93
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 93
it may come to that long term, but I am feeling lazy in the short....


1959 Chevy Viking. Belonged to my Great Grandfather
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
The cleaning kits you can buy use phosphoric acid to clean. It's the same stuff you drink in pop. I used muriatic acid. Much quicker but much stronger and dangerous acid. New tanks are probably best if they are available.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,296
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,296
If your long range plan is new tanks, don't waste your time on cleaning that old tank. You will probably knock some pin holes in it with the gravel or the acid (vinegar).
Whatever you do, don't try to run it on the old, unclean tank. Modern fuel is an awesome solvent for the old residue which has accumulated on the sides of the tank for many years, and that gum will end up clogging everything down stream of the tank, and gum up your valve guides and bend your push rods.
I'd bite the bullet and buy the new tanks now. Even though it would be fun to watch the carnival ride of the tank going round and round on the tractor tire.
Might as well hook up the planter to it and get your beans in so as not to waste fuel.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,989
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,989
I've never tried vinegar, but I've heard it works. I don't recall for sure but seems like the guy who told me said to use apple cider vinegar. He claimed it would make them like new inside. But, as mentioned, I have not tried it myself.


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I just finished trying out vinegar on some headlight pots. It did work after a fashion. Each one took about a week of soaking and wire brushing twice a day. Without the brushing I don't think i would have made a lot of progress.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 93
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 93
This truck has my mildly paranoid, so I am leaning towards at least one new tank. I am goign to take a patch off, to try and see in and I have a new endoscpoe coming.If I cannot convince myself the tanks is clean, I will get rid of it.

Originally Posted by truckernix
I just finished trying out vinegar on some headlight pots. It did work after a fashion. Each one took about a week of soaking and wire brushing twice a day. Without the brushing I don't think i would have made a lot of progress.


1959 Chevy Viking. Belonged to my Great Grandfather
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
I surprised no one suggested molasses!
A couple gals to a tank oughta do it no?

Of course that's not how I did it...
I used rocks and chains. Way more work especially without a tractor.
Now I like slow and lazy.

Last edited by cletis; 04/28/2017 5:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
Aluminum saddle tanks from class 8 trucks are not DOT approved for gasoline only. I have quite a few old GMCs. I don't even try to clean the tanks, I just pull about 6" off the bottom. Going to a salvage yard and buying a late model tank is another option. Cleaning an old tank is almost impossible.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0