The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (TGP, Bill Hanlon, Hotrod Lincoln, greenie-reddy, 1955 1 Series, Otto Skorzeny), 178 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,228
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1210896 03/30/2017 1:11 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
I have the original radio for my 58 Chevy pickup. Stopped working years ago.

Someone mentioned redoing it so I could get am/fm and a port in for additional player or usb port.

Where can I find instructions and parts on how to do this?

Thanks

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I don't think you will find instructions to make that change. People in the business of providing that update buy the new electronics from a supplier and install them. Now if you wanted to restore the radio as per original and then add an audio input, there are instructions on how to do that. The result though is a mono output from your radio derived from the stereo input.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 693
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 693
it is not really a "modification" to add an FM RF amplifier stage, heterodyne/mixer, and demodulator then couple the audio to the existing output stage. This is a wholesale redesign or actually, adding a separate FM radio to the existing case. Adding an auxiliary audio input is much easier. they make re-pop radios that look original and are all solid state (of course) and about the size of a stack of business cards. they use way less power too. only problem is they are $500...

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I haven't tried one out but I would say that the repop radio is a better way to go than converting an original. You probably can get really good money for an original radio.

Some of the conversions I have seen use the old mechanical tuning mechanism and one of the tuning coils. The ones that I have seen were FM only.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
Yeah I've checked out the newer repop radios. I may see if someone can repair what I have. AM is okay. smile

Doubt I'm quite up to repairing the radio.

But thanks.

I'll keep looking around.

Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 336
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 336
Roy, I can give you info on a shop in the Chattanooga TN area that upgrades these radios. I used him to upgrade my 59's radio.

Old Car Radio www.oldcarradio.net
Charles Forgey
(423) 344-8357 or (423) 785-6333.
I also have more repair websites if you want them.


1959 3100 Apache Fleetside

Moderated by  truckernix 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0