Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
9 members (FAST55, Shaffer's1950, John Dlugos, Ponchogl, F100Ranger, Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, TexasJim50, 1 invisible),
73
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,131 Posts1,056,372 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 | Is it possible? I saw a Klutch model #41475 Northern Tool (China of course) that had the larger sizes and good reviews for $70. I really need one to clean up, is the word "chase"? reusable screws, bolts and nuts. Of course I know you get what you pay for, but my budget rules LOL. Thanks, Steve | | | | | Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,074 Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums | | Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,074 | If you're not hung up on a new set, try eBay. I recently picked up a nice older made in USA Craftsman set for under $50. A few years back, I also got a metric Craftsman set, also from eBay.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truckFollow this saga in Project JournalPhotos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | I bought a Harbor Freight (Chinese made) tap and die set over 15 years ago. I have used as you want: to clean/chase existing holes. I have never had a problem.
I got at least what I paid for it.
| | | | | Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,074 Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums | | Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,074 | I got at least what I paid for it. That's probably very true. The fact is that a broken tap is a broken tap whether it's HF or Craftsman. And it doesn't bother me as much to throw away a HF tool.
Last edited by klhansen; 03/26/2017 8:46 PM.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truckFollow this saga in Project JournalPhotos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 | Hey Tim, I thought about HF. I'll wait to see if anyone else joins in. Steve | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 | Thanks klhansen, I'll look tonight to see what there is to consider. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,813 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,813 | The problem with chasing threads with a thread-cutting tool is the possibility of removing too much metal. Real thread chasers have blunt tips on the cutting edges so they simply iron the flattened or rusty areas back into shape instead of cutting. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 | The manufacturers do make thread restorer kits. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | I don't mind harbor freight. Tap and dies will probably not break while using on mild steel and to chase threads. I have chased with tap and die all my life. Never had a problem. It will sometimes take off cheap plating because of what Jerry says. I don't by that kind of plated hardware though. I would try to AVOID the round style T and D sets if possible. The hex shape/style is MUCH better. It's just like if a socket is driving the die, not friction from a thumb screw or two. Sometimes I find it nice to actually use a socket instead of the handle, either with a ratchet wrench or by hand. The hex die will never slip. Most are made from round stock because it must be cheaper to put it into a lathe or the stock is cheaper. The die handle recess can be easier to cast/machine if round. Has to be a cost reason because hex is obviously better for positive drive. They are less common for sure. Buy Two! or Wait for a sale! Hex is the word. Home Depot Same basic kit as Amazon. Amazon cheaper and "titanium". Home Depot says 39 pieces and Amazon says 40 pieces. The Home Depot person needs to go back to school. They both have 40. You will find the thread gage, included in most sets, very valuable. Get the Amazon set. Free ship. Everybody thinks we are stupid. The set is great for you and me BUT why do they have to B.S. us. The set is Titanium "coated". ABN 5094 is not a Titanium type, it is, I believe, the kit part number (5094) for Asia Bolt and Nuts, India or AutoBodyNow. (ABN). But you may think it is a Super Industry Titanium Spec. If it is, that's great. Does not google as such.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | I have used 12 pt and 6 pt sockets to drive my HF taps.
I prefer to use a box-end wrench, so I can easily rotate the tap back and forth. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | Looks like they only have one hex set $37.99 minus 20%. It's a SAE/Metric combo.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 | Thanks for the information bartamos. I checked out the model you suggested but I could not find the sizes or if it will do fine threads. I need to start with 1/2" for the bumper bracket bolts but will use the other sizes eventually. I also did not find the model #ABN 5094 but it is how you described it and came up when I Googled it. Steve | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | Hex dies have their uses, but they're not necessarily better all around. Round dies aren't cheap to make, flawed, and outdated in comparison either. Round dies are commonly split on one side and with or without an adjusting screw in the die you use the screws in the die stock (holder/handle) to adjust the die, the size it cuts. The round dies also have indentations in the side to provide positive drive by the same adjusting and holding screws.
Having a small amount of adjustment in a threading die is useful, at least it is to me. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 | Thanks Grigg for the comparison. At the moment, I just need a tool that will restore nuts, bolts and screws. I will hang onto this info for future reference. Steve | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | The home Depot set fooled me. The pockets in the case are hex but the dies are round. Anyway you will find that theses sets include several thread pitches in each size. The assortment will cover anything on an old truck. They usually have 4-40, 6-32, 8-32, 10-24, 10-32, 12-24, 1/4-20, 1/4-28, 5/16-18, 5/16-24, 3/8-16, 3/8-24, 7/16-14, 7/16-20, 1/2-13, and 1/2-20, 1/8 in. NPT pipe
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 815 | I decided to get ABN 5094 from Amazon. I could not find it at HD but I saw one by Texton. One more question, where did you find those sizes? I was not able to locate them and the one I need now is 1/2" fine. Steve | | | | | Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 311 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 311 | Based off opinions on the StoveBolt a few years back I purchased Craftsman thread restorer kit. It has been GREAT! I rarely have to repair threads with my HF/Chinese tap and dye kit. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | If you are just going to chase threads this HF set should work fine (it has for me, through 4 truck restorations over a 20 year period). 4-40, 6-32, 8-32, 10-32, 10-24, 12-24, 1/4 in.-20, 1/4 in.-28, 5/16-18, 5/16 in.-24, 3/8 in.-16, 3/8 in.-24, 7/16 in.-14, 7/16 in.-20, 1/2 in.-13, and 1/2 in.-20, 1/8 in. NPT pipe tap | | |
| |