Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
82
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,090 Posts1,056,378 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2017 Posts: 54 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2017 Posts: 54 | I got a 54 3600 with the 235/hydramatic from my uncle as a project. It is fairly rusty, but isn't that bad. Id prefer a 4x4 so im just wondering what the easiest way would be. | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | The easiest way would be go buy a 4X4.
Your Hydra-Matic truck is unique and somewhat rare plus it has a family history. I say get it running and stopping and drive it a while before making any decisions. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 843 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 843 | Leave the 54 alone and go buy a 4x4.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 Crusing in the Passing Lane | | Crusing in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 | If you told us what part of the country you are in, it might help?
Ed
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2017 Posts: 54 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2017 Posts: 54 | | | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 226 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2007 Posts: 226 | There is a site that is dedicated to NAPCO 4X4 units that were available as retrofit kits before the factories produced 4X4 trucks. I'm more familiar with Task force era trucks, but I believe there were kits for your era trucks as well. Try googling NAPCO 4X4. That would be the most direct way to do it. Ive seen Advance Design trucks with Blazer or Jeep truck drivetrains or even modified frames under them. Thats a lot more work and takes more engineering to make a truck that works well. Good luck.
LJ | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 Crusing in the Passing Lane | | Crusing in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 | I even found some factory wide front fenders for my 47.1 GMC when I made it 4wd so I could use a Blazer front axle, so they do exist.
Ed
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2017 Posts: 54 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2017 Posts: 54 | I have another question then about the NAPCO conversions. I've been reading and it seems like they were available for my truck but are pretty rare. I am just wondering if they are available and how expensive they are? | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,286 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,286 | Given that they became available at the very end of the AD run, they very rare. I believe they were only available in the 3/4 ton and bigger trucks. If you do find the entire setup, good luck finding replacement parts. You will need them. Another thing to consider is what do you want to do with it? They are not up to modern standards for 4-wheel drives. Some of them came with full time 4X4, others had lockout hubs which you have to get out to manually engage the front hubs. One would make a nice museum piece, but I would not enjoy one as a daily driver. Carl
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | A NAPCO conversion for 1954 trucks was available from NAPCO as an after-market conversion - they are listed in the GM 1954 Chevrolet Truck Silver Book, and other 4WD conversions were available earlier during Advance-Design productions years. They'd be very rare. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2017 Posts: 54 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2017 Posts: 54 | I was out working on my truck today, trying to get it to turn over. I hooked up the positive battery cable to the starter. My truck has a key and a push button starter. I turned the key and pushed the starter and it turned on. The problem I'm having is that it seems that the gear on the starter moves forward but it wont engage with the flywheel. Just looking for some help on this one. | | |
| |